start of journey (waiting for insurance approval)

NJ_IST34
on 6/24/12 4:34 am - NJ
hi everybody
im new to the site; had my first apt past thursday and right now waiting on approval from my insurance and then i have to get clearance from a bunch of doctors. I am on a emotional roller coaster. surgery is all im thinking about. One day im determined then the next unsure basket case :)
im sure all of u can relate to me in some way. pls any thoughts and advise would ease my pain
thanks
nj
stlfocus
on 6/24/12 7:33 am - IA
All 100% normal feelings.  I would guess most pre-ops have felt exactly like you do.  I started in November, 2010 with a visit to the surgeon's office.  I then was given exactly what I needed to do.  It consisted of 6 monthly visits with my PCP discussing diet, 3 visits with a nutritionist, colonoscopy, mammeogram, pap, EKG, psych eval, several visits with the surgeon.  I think that is most of it.

After that was all done and I passed all examinations, it was submitted to insurance, and I was approved in 2 days.  We then set up surgery for 9/19. 

Prior to surgery, I had to be on a low carb high protein diet for 2 weeks and I lost 10 lbs.

I was very lucky and had a complication free surgery and recovery, and I returned to work in a week.

Surgeon expected me to be at 175 at one year after surgery, and I reached 165 at six months, so it has been very successful.  At my 9 month check up, I was at 99.5 lb loss, and 1.5 lbs away from goal.

I am not sure what you are looking for, but hopefully this gives you some idea of what happens prior to surgery.  I well tell you this is the best thing I have ever done for myself and would do it again tomorrow.

NJ_IST34
on 6/24/12 8:25 am - NJ
wow, your results sound astounding, good job. i hope i will be just as successful.. it really is the fear of unknown i guess and it is a major surgery.. so its hard not to think of everything that can go wrong. but i cant wait, and am very excited.
thank u for all the good insight!
I WANT MY LIFE BACK

NJ
stlfocus
on 6/24/12 9:21 am - IA
You would not be normal if you didn't think of all that could go wrong because, as you said, it is a major life-altering surgery.  Some people have a rougher time of it than I did. 

The best thing you can do is make sure follow the recommendations of your surgical team. 

Good luck to you and keep us posted on how it all goes.

Most Active