What is it REALLY like to be post op WLS

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 7/24/12 9:27 am - Belleville, IL

What is it REALLY like to have WLS (Specifically RNY Bypass)

I am now over 2+ years post op. I am 118 lbs and wear a size 4-6 (depending). Pre-Surgery I was nearly 300 lbs and was mostly wheelchair bound and couldn’t do anything.

I finally decided to have WLS because I wanted to be “Normal"….I wanted to be able to wipe my arse, to walk in a crowd without of standing out like a giant piggy,  or to be able to do things with my (slender) husband of 28+ yrs. I make NO excuses for myself…I was a fat pig. It was easy just to grab larger and larger clothing, to try every diet from Phen-fen to Jenny Craig and then gain it all back when I went back to my “old eating habits".

I wasn’t always obese. I got that way because of being prescribed Prednisone for autoimmune diseases, being “lazy" (and in pain) not exercising and yes, I had tried every diet under and over the sun. I was not always obese. Until age 22 I was actually on the slender side, was active duty Air Force (where I met my husband) and did a lot of activities from dog training to horseback riding to you name it.  After I gave birth to my son (currently 25 yrs old and autistic) I began to gain, a LOT of weight. I blew it off. A few years later I was diagnosed with PCOS and then Ovarian Cancer. More weight piled on. I went from 125 to 180 to 210.  In 1998 after 4 years of doctors trying to diagnose why I was tired and getting weaker it was discovered I had an autoimmune disease called Dermatomyositis…I was put on tons of Prednisone, Enbrel and a dozen other medications.  My weight began to soar about 10-20 lbs a year. I no longer did ANY exercise (was to weak and in pain) I had a service dog and a motorized wheelchair.

ALL the things I enjoyed doing before I no longer did. Even Walking was excruciating. I was on almost 18 different medications and began to get type 2 diabetes, ultra high triglycerides, crazy corticoids levels, etc.  My life was miserable. Each doctor I saw told me “lose weight- Exercise. Do physical therapy" blah, blah, blah….

I was not depressed, I never ate because of depression, or anxiety or any other mental health issues…And I am NOT in any way belittling someone with mental health issues….But be aware that having the surgery will NOT in any way “help", “cure" or make mental health issues go away or “get better." If you are depressed, anxious a binge eater PRE-surgery…You still will be AFTER surgery. You have to be somewhat mentally stable before the surgery or get help with any issues you have pre-surgery.

Now…What to expect AFTER surgery. (Because everyone I see on here, really wants to “know").  Your surgeon’s pre and post op regimen will differ from mine or most peoples. You may be expected to be on a liquid diet and lose weight before surgery. It’s NOT forever, and you can do it. If you really want the WLS, than this is just a tiny “blip" on the radar. I was on a 2 week liquid diet. I sooo wanted this surgery that to me, the liquid diet was just a “warm up". No big deal. Did I feel hungry on occasion? Yes, but I knew that eventually I would be eating all the food I could eat Pre-Op. And on that note…

WLS will NOT curb any hunger, do not count on “dumping" to keep you in line (only a small 30% of RNY people dump and people who have VSG and/or DS do NOT dump at ALL) The WLS is NOT a magic bullet that will “melt fat" off you…You still have to do WORK…That’s right. W. O. R. K.  as in reading labels, EXERCISING (that nasty “E" word) and living a healthy lifestyle. If you do not, than after about 18 months, weight will creep back up. When I woke up in the hospital I was hungry and I have NEVER felt a sense of “fullness" even to this day…Which is why I have to carefully watch and monitor my amounts of what I eat.

If you are “obsessed" with your weight on the scale, and are envisioning losing massive amounts of weight in a short period of time…You WILL be disappointed. WLS is like stepping down stairs. You lose a few pounds, stall/pause for anywhere from 1-3 weeks and then lose a few more pounds: Rinse and repeat.

__

]__(mini stall)

]__(mini stall)

]___(2 -4 week stall)

]___(mini stall)

I think you get the picture. Also, if you exercise, your NUMBER on the scale may slow down. This is because you are losing INCHES, sizes and FAT.  I recommend that Pre-Surgery you save a pair of your biggest pants/dress/whatever and shirt. Every 6 months, take a photo of your NEW size next to your OLD size. Also, take a MONTHLY photo of yourself. You may not “see" the Weight Loss, but it is happening. THAT is what people are noticing. NOT a number on a scale, but your shrinking size!

No, you do NOT have to exercise, but if you do, you will be healthier, be firmer, and tend to have less “flabby skin" although honestly…Your mileage will vary.  If you have been 450 lbs, do not expect to be all svelte and firm no matter HOW much weight you lose or how many hours of stair stepping you do. Loose skin is part and parcel of this surgery. What determines how MUCH you get is pretty much set by genetics, how long you have been obese, how much MUSCLE MASS you have under your skin (hence the resistance training or weight lifting, and girls that goes for you too!)| Some people no matter HOW much they try will have a bunch of loose, flabby skin. If you are getting this surgery with the unrealistic expectations that you will look like (insert sexy super model) ah…No. It won’t happen.  If you are getting this surgery to be HEALTHY, to lose some weight, to be able to live “normally" than you will be satisfied.  You need to count your accomplishments of what you CAN do now, compared to what you couldn’t do before (these are called “NSV" or Non-Scale-Victories) things like being able to use regular seatbelts, or NOT have to use the  motorized cart at your local store, or walk 3 miles a day or sky dive, heck…Whatever your bucket list is, that doesn’t revolve around food.

Because here is the HONEST truth. Are you mourning what you will NOT be able to eat AFTER surgery? Guess what? Chances are you will STILL be able to eat it in time. (Cake, McD’s, Hershey Bars, fried chicken, etc…) all the food you LOVED before (Pizza, pasta, etc) you will “probably" be able to eat AFTER surgery (especially if you had the DS, Lap Band or Sleeve!!!) Only your determination to measure your food and eat healthier will prevent you from going BACK to your old ways. True, some food you may not be able to eat. I had to give up a couple, but it was no loss. HEALTH was/IS more important to me than McD Fries or 4-6 slices of Pizza Hut Pizza or eating half a chocolate cake.

Yes, on these boards you tend to read about people who have problems or complications and part of that reason is that the people who DON’T are out doing things. I have nothing to complain or ***** about. I am horseback riding weekly, doing serious dog training and rescue work, basically nearly every day I am OUTSIDE and doing things instead of sitting on my arse in front of the computer. I am spending time with my family, enjoying LIFE, going to Ren Faires (in full costume even!) and basically LIVING again. No longer does WLS “dominate" my life. I don’t talk about it with very many people, I don’t dwell on it, I KNOW what I am supposed to do, and if my weight creeps up a couple pounds I know what to do to STOP it. (Go back to being a wee bit strict and being strict about journaling what I’m eating)

Because I am “normal" now, I CAN eat and LIVE like a “normal" person, like the person I used to be. Can I have a slice of cake? Sure I can….I eat a normal, small slice or cake. Or a couple cookies or…(Fill in the blank). I read all my food labels and for the most part keep to what my surgeon prescribed for me (eating wise). I still eat pancakes or muffins but have learned to cook using things like Splenda or Truvia or Spelt Flour or Low Carb Flour, etc.  I eat things like Dreamfields low carb pasta and yes…I occasionally have 1 slice of Pizza Hut pizza or a 6" flat bread Subway (Cold Cut Combo or Turkey Breast).  If I cannot eat a meal (because I am busy) I make sure to get a protein shake and I take my vites every day.  I exercise formally, 2-3 times a week. Sometimes I don’t FEEL like exercising, but I do it. That is what healthy people do. I find activities I ENJOY, that are not “torture". If it isn’t FUN, why do it?

During the Holidays I have a Burger on the 4th of July, Turkey on Thanksgiving and Ham or Rib Roast on Christmas.  I use others Low Carb/Low Sugar recipes to make things like Sweet Potatoe pie or healthy Potato Salad.  Enclosed are some photos of BEFORE surgery (at nearly 300 lbs) and me now (at 118). No, I have had NO plastics, nor do I want any. I am happy with my body, even if I would have looked like a flying squirrel…(In fact I was utterly surprised that I did NOT have more loose skin, considering I am nearly 50 and have had several abdominal surgeries).

Did I have a few complications? Yes. My Gallbladder went kaput, and also I’ve had Liver problems, and some digestion problems. I consider it a very SMALL price, considering that just a couple years ago 4 of my doctors expected me to be dead by now. Each DAY I consider a blessing and do NOT regret the surgery one bit.  Yes, it is work. WLS is not a “gimme" nor a “magic cure".  You WILL be able to eat your old favorites after about 6 months to a year. Get your head and heart (spirit) strong and straight before having this surgery because the surgery will NOT do it for you.

Many “newbies" obsess over each pound lost or not lost on the scale. The truth is, is that 3 years from now, you will probably care LESS about how fast you lost 10 lbs and whether it is “normal" or not. I sincerely am not trying to offend anyone at all, merely laying out the honest answer of:

1)      Why you don’t see more posts from people  2+ years out

2)      That this surgery should be first and foremost about HEALTH and not looks or magic “cures"

3)      Yes, you have to WORK at this too. Do your research presurgery and pick the right surgery for you. Really, really, research.

The compliments will stop after about 18 months. You will be NORMAL. People will stop “Oooohing" and “Aaaaahhing" over each pound you tell them you lost. You will be……NORMAL, just like everyone else who is NOT obese. And that is the best compliment and success of all.  So when you wonder where ALL the people are who are 2+ years out (and yes, there are some AWESOME veterans who stay here to help and encourage others). Remember, some of us are out there LIVING, passing you by on the street and you don’t even know it.

PREOP- 290 size 3XXL!!!!! What a FATTY!

2+ yrs POST op (RNY) 118 lbs, size 4-6

2+ yrs Post Op..I am HEALTHY!
 LIVING LIFE and being healthy!!!! I am not on the computer complaining but out LIVING. Yeee haw!

(((((hugs)))) to all.

Warmly,

Jackie E.

TJTorre
on 7/24/12 10:22 am - OR
RNY on 08/21/12
I gotta say, this one of the best things I've ever read.  Thank you.
    Don't trade what you want most, for what you want in the moment!

AMFGMD
on 7/24/12 10:32 am
hi jackie,  I just love what you posted, It was well written and i just really enjoyed reading it. You really hit all of the things i was wondering about and i'm sooooo glad that i took time out to read it. I am a newbie, just getting started, and I have a long way to go.  I just wanted to let you know that i really enjoyed your post and i am going to enjoy my life too,
mollypitcher08
on 7/24/12 10:32 pm
Jackie -Awesome post! Great honest reading ! This is so helpful to all those who are considering any of the WLS's . (and even those of us who have been there and done that for that matter!! )  You look great! Thanks for posting the pictures as they to me speak volumes.  Congratulations on your continued success and thanks for the great post!   Mary
jewel-twin
on 7/25/12 2:41 am - Canada

I think this is exactly what newbies want to hear... the GODS honest truth...

I think we all know that the surgery can be painful, that we will be emotional, that it will be a rollercoaster... but its nice to see that eventually its just "normal"...

thanks for posting this.

Juls

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png

Most Active