Raw milk and other troubles

Louise1974
on 8/4/12 11:41 am
does anyone have experience drinking raw (unpasteurized) milk post RNY?  I get my milk from a full diet CSA (i know, i know, lots of people think it is dangerous but I trust my farm and my regulation crazy state says they are okay so I feel fine with it).  I get raw skim milk and yogurt there.  The thing is, I love the taste, and I pay a set price for the csa so I would hate to have to start buying milk, right now I pretty much get all my food from my csa so I don't even have to go the the grocery store.  But the dietician at the bariatric center wasn't sure if the makeup of raw milk would be okay for me post RNY.  does anyone know?  She had never worked with anyone who drank raw milk.

I am waiting and waiting for the bariatric center to send a request letter to my insurance company.  I was prepared for lots of waiting but I wasn't counting on nearly a month just to send the letter.  Ugh.  it is hard to wait.  I know lots of you have been through this but I would love some encouragement here! 
poet_kelly
on 8/4/12 12:02 pm - OH
I've been doing raw milk for about eight months now and love it.  I'm not sure what your dietician means by "the make up of raw milk."  It will contain approproximately the same calories, protein, fats and carbs as pasteurized milk.  however, raw milk contains the enzyme lactase, which is destroyed by pasteurizing milk and while is needed to help digest the lactose in milk, so it may be better for you after RNY than pasteurized milk, since may RNY patients develop lactose intolerance.

what specifically is the dietician concerned about?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Louise1974
on 8/4/12 1:23 pm
She is worried about the particles of the milk being larger?  I have no idea what she was talking about.  I am glad to hear that it is working for you.  I am also interested in finding some whole food alternatives to protein supplements and shakes....  do you have any ideas?  Partially I just don't like all the chemicals but I am always trying to find ways to save money and I wonder if there are some recipes running around that use real food that would have the same amount of protein?

I am freaking out a little about the surgery, I keep reading about terrible complications and people who are still having terrible struggles with their weight.  I notice your comments and successes and I wonder if you have any words of wisdom or encouragement.  I would really appreicate it.
poet_kelly
on 8/4/12 9:23 pm - OH
Huh?  The particles of milk are larger?  Does heating the milk shrink the particles or something?  That makes no sense.  I don't think she knows what she's talking about.

I think in the very beginning you'd have a hard time getting enough protein without shakes but you could make Greek yogurt or cottage cheese with your raw milk (I make Greek yogurt, it's easy) and both are high in protein and easy to eat.

I would try not to worry too much about terrible complications.  Complications do occur but they're rare.  Most people do fine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Louise1974
on 8/4/12 9:40 pm
The yogurt I get is really close to greek yogurt and we make cottage cheese so I think I am good there.  I agree about the dietician, people get freaked out abotu raw milk.  I am trying to chill out, I think when I get approval and a surgery date I will be able to calm down a little, all the not knowing is rough for me.  I like to plan!  Thanks for the support!
MsBatt
on 8/6/12 11:25 pm
I think she's talking about it not being homogenized, which is typically done to pastuerized milk.
kmsbanr
on 8/5/12 2:30 am - CT
RNY on 04/10/12
I have been trying to get away fronm the chemicals and improve my health at the same time. I love chocolate however but didn't want to use processed cocoa. I've found unprocessed organic cocoa, cocao nibs and maca powder for energy(on amazon) and use organic xylitol or agave syrup.  I love that the cocao nibs give me crunch factor and I like that they are the highest in antioxtdants.  Not everyone likes them DD can't stand them.
I started using organic milk but have been thinking of switching to raw.  I think I'm having trouble with lactose and am taking lactaid pills. How do feel since drinking it?
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 8/5/12 10:19 am
I am interested in the cocao nibs and looked them up on amazon. $8.55 isn't too much if I like them. can you tell me more about how they taste?

does your daughter find them too ...what? does she like dark chocolate?

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/5/12 8:08 am
 I was temporarily lactose intolerant for about a year after surgery, and switched to raw cows milk and goats milk, and had fewer problems. I don't understand what your dieticians concern is, as I think it's healthier for several reasons.
Most Active