alcohol metabolism- Rny, sleeve, & lapband

RosieSweetie21
on 8/13/12 1:59 pm
I just read an article that was just published in Journal of the American College of Surgeons online dated July 6,2012 that concluded that "Patients undergoing LAGB (lapband) and LSG (sleeve) do not share the same altered alcohol metabolism as seen in gastric bypass patients. However, all bariatric surgery patients should be counseled regarding alcohol use.".    When you read an article like this it just reinforces the idea that sometimes sleeve patients ( like myself ) and probably lap band patients are given incorrect advice when they are given the same guidelines as given to RNY patients .
Has anyone else found they are not rny patients but given rny guidelines?
M M
on 8/13/12 3:38 pm
 You still might consider waiting as long as RNYs do to aid in maximum weight loss -- and healing.
Ms Shell
on 8/13/12 3:54 pm - Hawthorne, CA
MM thanks for yet another quote to add to my email signatures =0

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Ms Shell
on 8/13/12 3:53 pm - Hawthorne, CA
Not sharing the same "altered alcohol metabolism" doesn't mean we should stay away from it.  As a sleever who drinks, and knows RnYers and LapBanders the only difference I have seen is that my RnY friends can drink a **** load more then me and sober up WAY faster because of their malapsorption I'm gathering this could also be why alcohol can be abused easier.  Have no data, but observations.

I mean the advice is to stay away from it post surgery.  Why wouldn't that advice need to be true for a sleever (like myself as well).  The ability to abuse the alcohol is still there.  

So elaborate where you are going with tis if you don't mind.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

RosieSweetie21
on 8/13/12 4:12 pm
I actually don't drink at all, has no appeal to me. I don't like the taste - prior to sleeve I would get virgin pina coladas. My drug was and is food. However, my nutritionist told me to take B-12 and other vitamins like rny patients, then when I got blood work, my dr told me to stop taking some of them. (My B-12  in particular was ridiculously high). My point is that sometime sleevers are given rny guidelines that actually don't apply.
MsBatt
on 8/13/12 8:17 pm
We're all occassionally given guidelines that don't apply. You should see some of the crap info that's given to DSers!
Ms Shell
on 8/15/12 3:47 pm - Hawthorne, CA
Actually as a sleever one of the MOST important vitamins to take is B-12 as we no longer have the intrinsic factor which is produced "mainly" in the lining of the stomach and allows for absorption of B-12.  Since we no longer have much of the lining to produce it we therefore (many of us) need to supplement B-12.  

Now the IF is also produced in other parts of the body, so some people are fortunate to NOT have to supplement B-12 but you don't really know until you know.  So your nutritionist didn't give you the wrong guideline she was actually spot on in THIS case.

WLS is actually a case by case in MOST instances.  For instance only about 50% of RnYers dump.  And some VSGers dump but we aren't really told about that.  So the guidelines may or may not apply to each individual person so they "clump" them all together, which was my point.

Ms Shell

wufnu
on 8/13/12 6:03 pm - Kingston, TN
VSG on 07/03/12
 My doc has me on the same vitamine regiment as the bypass patients which doesn't make any sense to me at all.  

rainyone
on 8/13/12 9:28 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12
Sure sleevers might not metabolize the alcohol in the same problematic way BUT still probably have some increased risk of addiction in terms of transfer addiction as well.

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

Valerie G.
on 8/14/12 11:01 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Yes, the VSG and DS patients are distincly different, but still categorized into the general "wls information".  DSers are told to eat low fat (when they actually malabsorb 80% of the fat they eat).  

The bypassing on the RNY and DS metabolizes the alchohol much faster, so they get drunk faster and sober faster.  The restrictive only procedures don't have any issues for that at all.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active