Needing help with RNY

-Katie
on 9/9/12 4:17 pm - CA
Hello friends,

After surgery how long did you need help at home. I will be having the RNY.

Thank you,
jamiebrain
on 9/9/12 4:32 pm - Epping, NH
RNY on 08/14/12
 I was in the hospital from Tuesday to Friday.  My husband was then only home Saturday & Sunday with me.  I did okay, but I didn't have too much in the way of complications.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

jamiebrain on myfitnesspal.  :)  look me up.  :) :)

sam1am
on 9/9/12 5:21 pm
That depends on so much!  How mobile you are before surgery, how easily you get through it (the anaestetic is harder on some people than others etc.) your ability to have a bowel movement etc.  It will also depend on your facilities at home.  Do you have a lot of stairs to do, do you have a recliner or a back up plan if you have problems getting in and out of bed, do you have post op meals, planned, ready?

Wishing you all the best!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Niller
on 9/9/12 5:49 pm
I stayed 48 hours at the hospital (stayed an extra day due to pain) - then I came home - I live alone but friends and neighbours checked in on me. I was tired - could sip clear fluids - but recowering fast - out showelling my driweway to clear the snow - slowly/careful 2 days later - only 4 days after surgery (I blame the narcotic painkillers for the lack of better judgement) - but I was really doing well and took slow walks outside.

I did not need any help - at home.
(deactivated member)
on 9/9/12 6:10 pm
Hi Katie,I feel it's a good idea to have help in your plans.  No one knows how they are going to do after surgery.  How soon are you having the surgery?  I have other physical disabilities that without my husband to help for 2 weeks I would have been in trouble.  We were able to do this because having our own business allowed it.  I had my gallbladder out at the same time and I am 59.  Many people do great,
but again no one knows.  I have a recliner thank goodness, because I slept in that for weeks.  I had a really difficult time getting out of bed.  In spite of the difficulties this was the best thing I ever did.  Best of luck on your journey.  Jane
Leslie Stout
on 9/9/12 6:42 pm - IA
I'm having my surgery this Friday and my surgeon told me if I was able to care for myself prior to surgery, I would be able to care for myself after surgery.  Hope that helps!

LiciaLou
on 9/9/12 6:42 pm - Central, FL
RNY on 08/29/12
Well ... I am 11 days post op & if I didn't have my mom here I don't know what I would be doing because I am still not feeling too great. I was up & walking like a pro in the hospital but still taking care of the day to day things is rough. I had an open procedure, my gallbladder was removed & I had a liver biopsy ... all of which I assume play into my longer recovery time.

I would probably try to line up someone for 2 weeks & if you are kicking butt & taking names; they can always go home sooner. Good luck!

Alicia ~ HW 307 ~ SW 287 ~ GW 135 ~ CW 160

MyLady Heidi
on 9/9/12 8:01 pm
I didn't.
DebsGiz
on 9/10/12 3:38 am - FL

While I was most grateful to have my husband home taking care of me and spoiling me, if I'd absolutely had to, I could have taken care of myself.  Would not have been easy or a whole lot of giggles, but it was doable.

karenp8
on 9/10/12 11:40 am - Brighton, IL
I had a laproscopic RNY and didn't have or need help at home but I don't have children at home or anything.
Most Active