way off topic, but Gastroparesis

David B.
on 9/12/12 9:35 am - Fort Worth, TX
Gastroparesis is a type of neuropathy (nerve damage) in which food is delayed from leaving the stomach. It is sometimes cause by diabetes. Its kind of like neuropathy in legs, but affects the stomach. My partner has it, and it is very painful. He has not had any type of stomach surgery. The pain causes him to not want to eat, and not take his HIV meds. He is on alot of pain meds. He goes in to see a GI doc on sept 18th. I was just wandered if anyone here knew a chat room or fourm that can help us deal with this til his appointment, or if someone here has any ideas.

Thanks,
David

David  max  317, pre liquid diet  295, day of surgery 285, current 193 09/01/10

Niller
on 9/12/12 5:32 pm
I can not offer any advice about how to deal with this condition - just want to give my best regards to your partner and you and hope that he will find a solution to get better.
elenamurray1
on 9/12/12 8:16 pm - KY
RNY on 10/14/94
Go to inspire.com. They have a site on there called AGMD MOTILITY DISORDERS. Its mostly those who suffer from gastroparesis. Good luck
Linda B.
on 9/12/12 11:11 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12
I had a dear friend who suffered with this condition, she was diabetic. She found that yogurt would not cause pain when she ate it. She also ate a lot of ice cream. She had to stay away from veggies, caused pain so bad she's have to go to the hospital. Unfortunately, she is no longer with us (she had other complications from diabetes). But I saw your post and thought I'd share about my friend. She would also go to Mexico for chelation treatments (not available in US). They would help, but in the end, she just had too many health issues. I wish you and your partner well as you try to navigate though this tough time.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Allen Y.
on 9/13/12 4:09 am - Garland, TX
 My surgeon Dr. Wade Barker says Gastric Bypass RNY is the number 1 effective treatment for Gastroparesis. My wife has this and is getting WLS 10/8/12

southernlady5464
on 9/13/12 8:23 am
David, go to the Neuropathy Association web site for info. I have pheripheral neuorpathy, motor neuropathy, and autonomic neuropathy...gastroparesis is in the autonomic group. My gastroparesis is caused by diabetes. It wasn't bad but it was slower than normal. Tight control of my diabetes for almost a decade helped prevent more damage. And when my control started going regardless of what I ate, I headed for bariatric surgery.

The Neuropathy Association also has a FB page here

Good luck to your friend...it's a miserable condition.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Ruth S.
on 9/14/12 7:06 pm - Orlando, FL
I developed a small case of gastroparesis during my journey and the dr prescribed some meds (can't think of them now) and it helped get things moving. It did cause drowsiness though.  Best of luck...
Ruth S.
Most Active