Pre-Op diet confusion, help!!!

Louise1974
on 9/17/12 2:43 pm
My bariatric center has recommended a nine day liquid diet, they recommended specific shakes to use (HMR).  I just did the math and it is 60% carbs and 32% protein.  That doesnt jive at all with what I know about low carb diets and reducing glycogen stores to reduce liver size.  Shouldn't the protein percentage be much higher?  What is the deal?
MsBatt
on 9/17/12 6:41 pm
Yes, that does sound backwards. Did they just 'recommend', or did they sell you these shakes? Personally, I wouldn't use them now, and certainly not after surgery.

Also---if the liquid diet was just a 'recommendation', not a requirement, I wouldn't do a liquid diet, period. I'd eat a low-calorie, high-protein, low-carb diet of real food. It's going to be a looong time before you get to eat solids again after surgery---don't add to your misery if you don't have to! (*grin*)
lisa2job
on 9/17/12 10:42 pm - WA
VSG on 09/06/12
I agree that sounds kinda odd,   my nutritionists sells HMR and the bariatric advantage,  they told me not to take the HMR  if I am doing weight loss surgery.    Although I know that all surgeons are different and have theiir own subscibed plan on how they want you to loose weight I would however question them to thier reasoning or ask if you can use another protien drink....   there may be some logic to why they want you to use that specific brand......    not sure what it is but thats my thought

good luck

jennyrenny
on 9/18/12 7:48 am - Canada
DS on 08/11/12
I would go back and ask more questions but ultimately follow the surgeon's instructions. If you are going put your life in his hands and rely on his expertise to do this surgery, I think you should follow his pre-op instructions. There seems to be many different kinds of pre-op diets out there. Alll of us on this board have our own experiences and advice but we aren't the ones cutting you open.

HW: 365, SW (August 11, 2012): 351

Onelifetolive
on 9/18/12 8:59 am - TX
I agree with Jenny, every physician has their rendition of the pre-op liquid diet.  My surgeon told me to begin mines on the 24th for 7 days and it consist of all broths crystal ligh****er and protein shakes but prefer they be water not milk etc.  I would call for clarification, they also said if you cheat some thats to be expected but whatever you do dont eat RED MEAT because it takes longer to digest.  Good luck, at the end of the day everyone will have an opinion but your surgeons is the only one that counts.
Most Active