post op diet, need some help!

Louise1974
on 9/30/12 10:47 am
So I am five days post op, rny surgery on 9-25.  My program had me do clear liquids for two days and then shakes, yogurt, and broth for two weeks.  Here is my question, I am able to eat about 1/2 cup of yogurt in 30 minutes.  That is four ounces but I was told my pouch should only be 1 ounce.  I feel full at the end but not awful.  Is this normal?  Is it okay to eat four ounces at a time?  I don't want to mess up my pouch but I also want to make sure I get enough nutrition to heal.  I am only eating like 300 calories a day and that just seems really really unhealthy.  I am having no trouble getting in liquids, I usually do about 85-90 ounces a day, just steady drinking.  Any ideas or support would be really appreciated.  I had heard that two sips would make me full and it would take me hours to eat an ounce of food so I worry that I am doing something wrong.  I will say that I am healing really fast, got discharged early, so I wonder if maybe I am just not dealing with that much inflammation and swelling? 
JJ_
on 9/30/12 11:06 am
Welcome to the bench.

The yogurt will not stay in your pouch.  It will move onto the intestines pretty quickly as it slides on through.  Are you having protein shakes?  (i.e. is that what you mean by shakes?).  Then the protein shakes alone should bring you to over 300 calories per day.

Please note that everyone`s experience is different.  If folks were referring to an ounce of food, they were probably referring to dense protein.  You are not at that stage yet.

Please do not worry.  What you are having right now will slide right through.  It is most important to keep hydrated.  You can live without food (if you had to), but liquids are a must.  Try greek yogurt (plain with SF jam) for more protein.

I did not have a problem drinking fluids early on either.  Keep doing the right things that your surgeon has asked of you.  Each stage of the nutrition builds on the last one.  Good luck with the rest of your recovery.

Judy
Louise1974
on 9/30/12 12:46 pm
Thanks Judy!  I am doing protein shakes but depending on how I make them they have 90-180 calories each.  So if I do three a day that gets me 60-80 grams of protein but only 270-400 calories.  I am going to make an effort tomorrow to try to get all my protein from real food.  I made my own greek yogurt and have milk.  I am just sick to death of the shakes and all their artificial flavors and colors and sweeteners.  Yuck.  I think you are right about the whole food vrs yogurt, real food will probably be a different story and I don't have that for another week at least.  I think I am just so afraid that this won't work for me.  I have had alot of failure with food and weight and I am pretty sure I am the only one on earth who won't be able to lose weight with the nry, lol.  I know that is a little crazy.  Thanks for the support.  I am feeling good at least, i went for a little hike today with my kids and tomorrow I have plans for another nice long walk and I might even clean the house.  well, maybe...
JJ_
on 9/30/12 7:48 pm
Please have someone else clean the house.  You are less than a week post-op.  You are not to be lifting anything over 10 lbs.....whi*****ludes a vacuum cleaner, laundry basket or small child. 

You are also not getting many calories to sustain your body at this point.  Take it slow :)

Judy
Mal
on 9/30/12 1:56 pm
 Honey, don't worry!!  Yogurt is considered a 'slider' food which means that it slides right through your pouch so yes, you can eat a little more of that type of food.  Keep drinking as much as possible that is more important right now because you really don't want to get dehydrated.  I didn't have any pain at all as a new postop while drinking.  Not everyone has those issues so you aren't doing anything wrong there either.  

Keep walking too!!!  The more you do, the faster you'll heal, just don't overdo it either.  Take it easy and don't push your body too much.   

WELCOME TO THE LOSERS BENCH!!! 

Mallisa

Louise1974
on 10/1/12 12:18 am
Thanks everyone!  I called my surgeon this am and talked to the pa, she said that since I am doing so well on the liquids I can start soft food early.  I JUST ATE A HALF A SCRAMBLED EGG AND I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO HAPPY IN MY LIFE.  Hallelujah.  It tasted so good.  She confirmed what you all said.  So I am going to make the transition to real food, I might keep a potein shake in the am because I know it will be hard to get in all the protein on real food.  And I setting a timer after every mea so that I know when I can drink because I imagine it is hard to stay hydrated when you start real food, since each meal takes essentially 2 hours between waiting time and eating time.  I am just so happy that this is moving along and I am doing well.  I am so glad I did this.  I just feel great!!!!!  Thanks!!!!!!
Rhonda1209
on 10/1/12 3:51 am
WOW, being able to have yogurt after only two days after surgery sounds awesome to me. I had surgery on 9/26 and have to do clear liquids until seeing the doctor, which will be tomorrow (7 days). I am sick of the liquids! I can't stand the smell of chicken or beef broth and so i'm basically just having water, suger free popsicles and jello. I tried drinking the broth from cooked peas last night and it was ok, but i'm really struggling with wanting to chew something!
Most Active