Pre-op anxiety

julienne
on 10/21/12 1:21 am - GA
RNY on 10/22/12
My surgery is tomorrow morning. Emotionally and cognitively, I feel fine. I'm confident in the hospital staff and my choice of surgeon, I feel like I made an informed decision, and I know that the benefits outweigh the risks.

But physically, I feel anxious. I'm weepy and shaky, and have this weird knot in my stomach. I've been nauseous all day. I teared up when I left my dog this morning.

The anesthesiologist is apparently psychic, because when she saw I was on Celexa for GAD, she called in a script for Xanax, and told me to take one before bed tonight, and before I leave the house in the morning. That woman is a saint, and I know I'm in excellent hands.

There is no reason to be scared, but I still feel... icky.
JohnnyMadison
on 10/21/12 1:54 am
VSG on 11/30/12
 I can't blame you for your feelings, they seem quite natural to me.  My surgery date is 17 days away but I've had a knot in my stomach since the day I scheduled it!  I would definitely let the Xanax do what it's supposed to do and help calm you.  I think what you are going through is normal, so hang in there.
karenp8
on 10/21/12 2:32 am - Brighton, IL
What you are feeling is completely normal. Your anesthesiologist and surgery staff will take great care of you and it will all be over before you know it. Next thing you know you will be on the losers bench adn on your way to a healthier you. Take a deep breath and know that it is normal to feel this way. I did 7 weeks ago when I had my surgery too.  
cajungirl
on 10/21/12 3:51 am
It's fairly common to feel what you are going through. Take the Xanax and try to relax. Good luck with surgery and recovery.

If you haven't taken pictures or measurements I encourage you to do that today. Keep the outfit you take these pics in when you start purging your too big clothes.

Having measurements and the outfit are helpful to see where you came from when you worry am I losing enough or quick enough.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

micquell
on 10/21/12 4:39 am
VSG on 10/24/12
Im having the same feelings..full of emotions!! I have my surgery weds the 25th.. Keeping you in my thoughs and prayers... and wishing you nothing but the best!
sexysoontobediva2012
on 10/21/12 4:56 am
dont worry be life is going to be great and you are gonna be fine you are in good hands with your doctors and you will have a tool that will help you change your life.
southbay311
on 10/21/12 5:22 am - NV
RNY on 02/22/12
Pre surgery jitters are normal and understandable...

Just think of the smiles that will come when you go shopping for that new wardrobe and look in a mirror!!! It makes all the anticipation and nerves go away!

Best of luck, keeping your in my prayers and thoughs

H/W 326   S/W 287                                                                                     GW 145                                                      
SmallTownJen
on 10/21/12 5:22 am - IN
DS on 10/03/12
 I am 3 weeks post op and felt exactly the same way as you.  I too am on Celexa for GAD.  My anesthesiologist gave me versed when my IV was in and the last thing I remembered was scooting from the transport gurney to the surgery table.  You may ask if that is an option as well 
Good luck and speedy healing !

Valerie G.
on 10/21/12 7:09 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Your feelings are perfectly normal.  I'll send a prayer for a smooth surgery and an easy recovery for you.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

2012newgirl
on 10/21/12 7:42 am
VSG on 12/21/12
 I thought I was the only one who was really worried!  Thank you for sharing your truth and I will send good thoughts your way .  Just remember that if this was really easy, then everyone would do it.  You are doing something that is brave a life changing and you are a great example.
Most Active