looking for a great NUT

Louise1974
on 10/30/12 11:35 am

Does anyone really love their nutritionist or dietician?.  I am looking for a recommendation for one who is very familiar with bariatric surgery and might be willing to do phone consults with me.  I have had it with mine.  It would also be nice to have someone who is familiar with the problems associated with diet mentalities and the need to avoid dieting behavior post op. 

Hislady
on 10/31/12 8:33 am - Vancouver, WA

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but even with weight loss surgery you still have to diet in the sense you have to choose the correct foods and in the correct amounts. The DS may be the only exception but you have to be aware of what you eat with that too, plus make sure you get the right supplementation of vitamins and minerals. I don't know of one weight loss surgery where you don't have to count calories, journal your food and exercise. Wish I did but that isn't reality.

Louise1974
on 10/31/12 9:45 am

I don't mean diet mentality in that sense.  i am totally fine with logging calories... and carefully watching what I eat.  What I meant was that many in the nutrition/diet business (and elsewhere) have a strong diet mindset where it is all about good vrs bad foods and a strong emphasis on weight loss with judgments and shame around food, weight, and loss.  I feel strongly that years and years of dieting and a diet mindset contributed strongly to my obesity and has also led me to issues with disordered eating and borderline eating disorders.  I know that I am at risk for this post op and want someone to work with who has an understanding of lifestyle changes vrs. "dieting'.  Does that make sense? 

Most Active