PROTEIN SKAKES!!!! YUCK!!!

BamaBelleAmy70
on 11/8/12 5:27 am
RNY on 10/24/12

Hey Y'all!

I was just wondering if there are any good protein shakes out there that taste good. I have been drinking the Bariatric Advantage shakes but I can hardly choke them down!! I know I need more protein in my diet so any suggestions would be welcome. Or high protein soft foods?? Thanks everyone! I am on the soft foods part of the diet. I am 2 weeks post op. It's been rough but I hope it will be worth it. My dietician says I need at least 50 grams of protein a day. I am not hitting that! :(

Amy

AlaskaArizonaGirl
on 11/8/12 8:24 am - AK

Premier Nutrition High Protein RTD shakes are good.  I buy them by the case at Costco.  I like the chocolate much better as the vanilla can be a bit gritty.  I also use them as "creamer" for my coffee.  There is usually an ad on this page for them but I didn't notice it till I had been using them for quite some time.

Before Surgery 255  Surgeons Goal 155   My Goal 145   Current  152

RNY worked for me but it takes a lot of WORK from me!

cheyenne000
on 11/8/12 10:02 am
VSG on 03/25/16

I use the body by VI shake powder its fantastic

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

micotx
on 11/8/12 10:08 am - TX
RNY on 11/14/12

I am on the same shakes yuck isnt the word!!! lol!! My surgery is wednesday so i only have 4 more days of this diet..... I have banana, strawberry and chocolate....I mix the straw/choc with real banana and that tastes pretty good...and the banana by itself is good....Good luck!!

Imamiracle2008
on 11/9/12 12:58 am - Tinton Falls, NJ

Hi Amy, 

I just wanted to let you know that I couldn't get any of those protein shakes down either. And I think I've probably tried them all. There were even a few that I spent between $80.00-$100.00 on to take once and had to get rid of. My doctor told me how to make one and it is great tasting and you can adapt it to your taste and level of tolerance for it. I take 1 cup of fat free plain Greek yogurt. Costco brand (Kirkland) has the most protein, 4 ice cubes, your choice of frozen fruit (I usually use either of these: strawberries, bananas, raspberries, pineapple or mix of them), 2 packets of Splenda and a splash of fat free milk and put it in a blender and process to the consistency you like. It has 25 grams of protein per serving and as a bonus you are getting your extra calcium and it tastes like a milkshake to boot. I sometimes make one and sneak it into the movie theater with me.

good luck and I hope you try it and enjoy!!

'View

quiltpainter
on 11/10/12 4:00 am - CT

Chocolate splendor and chicken soup by Unjury are very good. They also have unflavored protein but I haven't tried it.  Max Muscle sells Iso-Extreme Berry flavored that is quite good (I mix with milk)

Valerie G.
on 11/10/12 4:28 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I hated protein drinks for many years.  Being on soft foods, look to Ricotta cheese.  It's got 7g in just a quarter cup.  You can make it savory with a little tomato sauce and cheese, or make it a dessert with some splenda and vanilla.  It's the perfect food for protein.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

stacy158
on 11/10/12 1:10 pm - TX
RNY on 10/23/12

The only liquid protein drinks I found that I liked was the Unjury Chicken Soup flavor (downside is high sodium) and Syntrax Nectars.  To me, those are the only ones I tried that didn't smell like infant formula.  Luckily, my surgeon doesn't want his patients relying on protein shakes after surgery (even right after surgery), but I'm going to keep them on hand for those days that I know I won't get close to my protein goal with solids.

Most Active