Requesting time off work

horrible_monster
on 12/8/12 11:21 am, edited 12/8/12 4:09 pm
VSG on 02/27/13

I don't have a surgery date yet, and in fact I'm just barely getting started scheduling labs/appointments/etc. But there's one thing making me nervous: trying to get time off work for the surgery and recovery.

My new job began last month. It's pretty stressful and weird in a lot of ways but sometimes very rewarding and interesting. Anyway, I've taken a day off (without pay, of course) for my initial consultation and I requested another day off next month for my endoscopy.

What I'm really worried about is having to sit down and actually ask for the time off for my surgery and recovery—if everything goes well, I'm hoping for surgery some time in the next couple months, so maybe February or the beginning of March.

The thing is, my employer's time-off policy is: for every forty hours you work, you earn an hour of paid time off. You can accumulate up to fifty-six hours, and you can take that PTO starting after six months. (Apparently this starts on January first, so I have no idea what if anything I'll have accumulated for the weeks worked in November and December, but whatever. I'm not all that concerned about getting paid for any time off, frankly; I just don't want to lose my job.) And I REALLY don't want to wait till June/July for PTO to kick in. And even if I did wait that long, if I did my math correctly (not a given, as Math Is Hard), I'd only be able to take three days off at six months. I want a week off, at least.

ANYWAY, this is a whole lot of words to ask: so can I/should I invoke FMLA? Anyone have any general tips for talking to one's employer about taking time off for bariatric surgery? I assume I'll need at least a week off work. (Probably having a vertical sleeve gastrectomy.) Help!

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

qnmimi
on 12/8/12 3:42 pm - Cottage Grove, MN

Have an open discussion with your boss, let them know a general timeframe.  Many employers will ask you to fill out FMLA papers, which do give you a little in the way of job security...would be a good idea IMHO. 

horrible_monster
on 12/8/12 4:09 pm
VSG on 02/27/13

So FMLA is an option. I figured it was but keep fretting that it wouldn't apply because bariatric surgery is elective or something. I'm good at spinning Bad Scenarios so your reply is reassuring. Thank you!

Valerie G.
on 12/8/12 10:42 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Double check with HR, but I believe that you have to work for a company for a year to be protected by FMLA.  Being a brand new employee, I agree that this isn't setting a good first impression to them.  I merely changed jobs within a company I'd worked at for 2 years already, and put my own plans for surgery on hold for 6 months to show them how indispensable I was before asking for 2 months off, and when I did, I gave them 6 weeks notice so we could line everything up in preparation for my absence.  

This surgery isn't an emergency, so it can wait.  You need to decide which is more important to you at the here and now, for this move may very well find you without a job.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

DebsGiz
on 12/9/12 12:52 am - FL

As a Manager, I have to agree with Valerie's response.

As a new employee, taking copious amounts of time off does not a good impression make.

I would get in there and really bust your rump, show that you are dedicated and indispensable, and don't say anything about your surgery until you actually have a date.

In a couple of months you could prove yourself to be invaluable, so when you did ask for the time it might not come as such a negative.

Good luck!!!! 

ruggie
on 12/9/12 2:21 am - Sacramento, CA

Also a manager, also agreeing with Valerie's opinion.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Kat1313
on 12/9/12 4:00 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

Agree with the others.......emergency surgery is one thing and can't be helped.  This, however, is elective.  And having been in management, I concur that it might not look too good so early on in your employment.

horrible_monster
on 12/9/12 4:26 am
VSG on 02/27/13

Thank you for the perspective, and for the info that FMLA doesn't kick in till a year of employment as a "covered" employee. 

Most Active