How do you prove comorbidities exist - BMI of 37.5 and want the Sleeve

sarapilar
on 12/10/12 9:20 am
VSG on 02/21/13

I am new to the forum and I have a BMI of 37.5.  I want the Sleeve.  There is one doctor two hours away who I think really helps to prove comorbidities exist.  I don't have a lot documented through.  I know I will test positive for Sleep Apnea.  I have a naturopathic doctor who could write a letter about my heart labs, and possibly pre-diabetes.  I don;t have any solid proof.  I have excellent health insurance, as long as it can be proven for the Sleeve.  Should I only go to the doctor who will really help me prove that comorbidities exist?  if I go to a popular doctor who turns away patients, will that ruin my future chances if he states that i am no big enough?

Candy V.
on 12/10/12 11:37 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

If sleep apnea will qualify you, go get a sleep study done.  Sleep study will prove it, at least for my insurance.

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

hollykim
on 12/10/12 12:45 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

go to the dr who will order a sleep test and do some labs to see if your sugar is in fact  high. that ids the only documentation the ins will usually accept.

GL

poet_kelly
on 12/10/12 5:35 pm - OH

You prove they exist by getting the appropriate medical tests done.  If you get a sleep study done and have sleep apnea, the doctor's report of the test results will state that.  If you have diabetes, a blood test will prove it and the lab will print a report that shows the results.  If you have high blood pressure (hypertension), a doctor or nurse can take your blood pressure and will note the results in your chart.  A copy of your chart will prove it.

It doesn't really matter if some doctor thinks you are "not big enough."  Your insurance company sets guidelines for when they will and will not pay for WLS, including what your BMI must be and what comorbidities, if any, you must have.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

grannymedic1
on 12/10/12 11:30 pm - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

I was approved by my insurance at 35.7 BMI. At that time they would not approve me for a sleeve (2010) but they have changed that. My co-morbidities were sleep apnea, HTN, pre diabetes as actual ones and arthritis and asthma as ones I had had even pre obesity. It is not hard to get qualified. A BMI over 35 and some co-morbidities are all most require. As others have said get labs done, that sleep study, and call your insurance company to find out their exact requirements.

Good luck.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Linda_S
on 12/11/12 2:37 am - Eugene, OR

Sleep apnea was my only comorbitiy, and I qualified, but it was for RNY five years ago.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

sarapilar
on 12/11/12 2:40 am
VSG on 02/21/13

Thanks all for your guidance, I am BRAND new at all this. 

About the doctor --- did you find that some doctors will do all they can to 'prove' you need the surgery, and some are too busy to help? 

Also,  have an MD who will write up something about my labs and how she fears my cardiac labs could get worse, or that i am pre-diabetic - will any of that help?

Basically, what do I need to do to have the best chance of getting an appoval?

vas0326
on 12/11/12 4:32 am - OR
VSG on 01/02/13

I can't really answer about some doctors doing more than others. Though, I am sure they do. My insurance doesn't require preapproval from my primary. So, I did lots of research and chose the surgeon I liked the best and signed up for her seminar and so forth. They had me do labs and all sorts of tests too. So, if you find a surgeon you like, you might ask if they do a sleep study. I had previously done one a month before I started seeing my surgeon. So, I didn't have to do it through them. Since, they told me my insurance would only pay for one. Or, two from the same place if it was determined I needed another one. 

I would definitely have your doctor write up anything that is going to benefit you. It could save you from being denied and having to go through that whole process. My BMI was 40.2 and because I hadn't had a weight history of 2 years with a BMI that high at the point I started seeing the surgeon. I tried to get as much documentation as possible. I ended up not needing it, because by the time I finished my visits with the surgeon I was now to the 2 year mark. 

I wish you the best of luck! It is stressful and exciting all at once. I have found this site very helpful. Even if you just lurk. Everyone seems to be very helpful. Sorry, for the long post!! 

noftessa0401
on 12/11/12 5:10 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/27/12

Basically, what do I need to do to have the best chance of getting an appoval?

I think this has already been answered - you need to find out from your specific insurance company, referencing your specific insurance policy, what co-morbidities are accepted for approval for weight loss surgery with your BMI.  Then, you need to have the specific medical tests that support those specific co-morbidities.  It is not rocket science.  I understand that you are new, nervous, excited, worried, wanting to get it all done now and right the first time.  But several responses above have been very responsive to your specific questions, and it seems that you are ignoring them.  We can't tell you that you need a letter from Dr. ABC stating XYZ.  It really depends on your insurance, your BMI, your comorbidities. 

HW: 274 | SW: 232 | CW: 137 | Goal: 145 (ticker includes a 42 pound loss pre-op) | Height: 5'4"

M1: -24 (205) | M2: -14 (191) | M3: -11 (180) | M4: -7 (173) | M5: -7 (166) | M6: -8 (158) | M7: -11 (147) | M8: -2 (145) | M9: -3 (142) | M10: -2 (140) | M11: -4 (136) | M12: -2 (134) | M13: -0 (134) | M14: -3 (131) | M15: +4 (135) | M16: +2 (137)

poet_kelly
on 12/11/12 9:37 pm - OH

Some doctors are simply more helpful than others.  If your doctor is not helpful, then find a  new doctor.  Probably all you really need is for your doctor to order the appropriate tests for you, and if your doctor is too busy to order tests that you need, you definitely need a new doctor!  You may also need your doc to refer you to a surgeon, depending on your insurance company.

Have you contacted your insurance company to find out what they need from you?  I doubt they will care if your doc fears your cardiac labs could get worse.  They will care about what your current test results are.

To have the best chance of getting an approval, call your insurance company, find out exactly what they need from you, and make sure you provide those things.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active