Anyone get WLS who had diastasis recti abdominis from pregnancy?

sarapilar
on 12/11/12 2:46 am
VSG on 02/21/13

During my last pregnancy my abdomen muscles split apart, and I have a huge bulge in my stomach under my breasts (looks like a half of a basketball).

I am trying to get the Sleeve, and just applying now with insurance and meeting doctors.

Did any women her have their surgeon fix their hernia (diastasis recti) during their WLS?  Please share any detaisl...such as, did insurance pay for it?  Did the doctor do it for free?

Thanks!

NewtoYou
on 12/11/12 4:19 am
VSG on 09/10/12

Hi there!    I saw your title and knew I'd just have to post!     Diastasis Recti is the sole reason I had WLS!   No they will not correct it duing the surgery and nor do you want them to! 

I have triplets, and my diastasis is more than 4 fingers.   Insurance refused to correct it, but said they would cover wls, and then the repair... sole reason is that there is fat behind pushing the muscles apart more and hindering the repair... so essentially its best to wait until you have lost weight or to lose weight before you have the repair so you don't have that fat pushing against the repair for fear of it breaking open.  

I had my sleeve in September and will have my repair (along with an insurance covered tummy tuck) after I reach goal and maintain for 6 mo!   

If you have any questions at all please feel free to message me.  I am an open book!!!   

www.facebook.com/frommetothere 

Mel

MY food is fuel, not a reward.  Its purpose is to sustain my body, not my soul.   ~ rhearob
Learning to love myself.

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 12/12/12 4:25 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12

I have it, but apparently it's not severe enough to operate on. I've had since I was a scrawny little thing and had two babies. I learned I should not have done all those sit-ups to try to flatten my squishy belly; I probably made the separation worse.

Most Active