Dehydrated AGAIN?!?

AnnaFrahm
on 12/28/12 11:20 am - MN
I am 2 weeks post RNY and have already been hospitalized once for dehydration. Now I think it may happen again when my husband gets home tomorrow! I feel like I'm going to faint every time I sit or stand up and am exhausted! I would up my liquid intake, but after a couple little drinks it feels like its about to come up and continues to feel that way for about 45 min and then I add more liquid. Any ideas why this is happening and what I can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
rocky513
on 12/28/12 11:32 am - WI

Try sugar free popsicles and Jello.  They count as liquid. When I was a new post op I ate 4 or 5 popsicles a day. I think your "drinks" may be too big.  I had to take tiny sips at first or I got sick.  For some reason popsicles always stayed down.  Maybe it was the cold that helped me.  Our pouches react differently to temperatures.  Some people do well with warm liquids.  Maybe try herbal tea?

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

poet_kelly
on 12/28/12 1:07 pm - OH

You can try taking smaller sips.  You might want to try room temp or warm liquids, too.  But if you were hospitalized for dehydration and have been unable to increase your fluid intake, then I imagine you are dehydrated again.  You'll need to drink more in order to stop getting dehydrated.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Huneypie
on 12/28/12 7:39 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Keep water with you in your bedroom so you can drink some at night.  You also need to take hydration salts and electrolytes.  I take Dioralyte http://www.dioralyte.co.uk/content/about-dioralyte#dioralyte and there must be something similar available in the US.  It helps with my light headedness which is low blood pressure caused by low fluid intake.

Drinking at night (when I go to use the bathroom) really helped me and I only occasionally take Dioralyte now (having the DS really can take it out of you if you know what I mean!!).

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Valerie G.
on 12/29/12 6:16 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Keeping hydrated is a full-time job the first month post-op.  Usually, a sip or two is all you can stand at a time, so keep a cup and take a sip before you do anything, after you do anything, and whenever you think of it whether you feel like it or not. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active