Anyone have an enlarged liver pre-op? Questions!

Earthgirl1914
on 12/24/12 10:26 am - GA

Hi, my surgery was supposed to be the 14th.  I went in, they put me out and I woke up sore.  Then I was informed by the surgeon that they went in but could not safely proceed with my surgery because my liver was too large (this is after being on the liquid diet for a week...twice!)  They went ahead and did a biopsy of my liver while they were in there.  Now I am so see a different doc in the practice on the 7th who is going to put me on another diet to hopefully shrink the liver so I can finally get the surgery the doc is sure I will eventually have.  All this is very frustrating as there have aleady been delays etc. in surgery dates.  If any of you have had experience with this please reply!!  Thanks!  

Earthgirl1914

Hislady
on 12/24/12 1:05 pm, edited 12/24/12 1:08 pm - Vancouver, WA

It's a bit strange that your surgeon is making such a big deal out of an enlarged liver, everyone that is overweight has an enlarged liver. That comes with being overweight unless yours is unusually large.

Earthgirl1914
on 12/24/12 4:31 pm - GA

Hi,

I don't know if my liver is "unusually" large or just large but they did do a biopsy while they were in there.  I haven't heard back on that yet.  The doc doing my surgery apparently said that he'd never seen a liver where the liquid diet didn't shrink it down but the doc who was assisting him said he had seen cases like that.  I guess we'll see.  I'm just anxious to get on this new diet they are going to give me so I can get the show on the road!

Earthgirl1914

Valerie G.
on 12/24/12 1:46 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Usually, if this happens, they just forego the lap procedure and open you up to continue.  Enlarged livers are extremely common in the morbidly obese.  Perhaps just ask for an open procedure and they can move the liver themselves instead of trying to maneuver with a machine.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Earthgirl1914
on 12/24/12 4:10 pm - GA

That is interesting. Thanks for writing back.  I'd really rather not have an open procedure.  I'm willing to try and diet first.  They said something about losing 25 lbs..  I can do that much  on my own.  It's always been keeping it off and of course I have way more than 25 lbs. to lose overall anyway!

Earthgirl1914

Valerie G.
on 12/24/12 11:52 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Losing as little as 25 lbs would take more than a year for me.  My DS was open, and it's really not a big deal.  The incisions were healed in a couple of weeks and I didn't even have stitches.  They glued me all the way down.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 12/24/12 2:26 pm

I am so sorry that you had to go through all of that and not have the surgery.  I had to sign papers before surgery giving them permission to do an open procedure in the event that it could not be done through the lap procedure.  Please keep us posted on the progress of your appointments and tests.  I truly wish you the best.  Jane

Earthgirl1914
on 12/24/12 4:11 pm - GA

Thanks so much!

Earthgirl1914

Dave Chambers
on 12/24/12 2:29 pm - Mira Loma, CA

I went in for a LAP RNY on May 10, 2006. I'd done ok losing 27 pounds or so in the preceeding last few weeks. BUT, my surgeon still had me sign a waiver, stating that if "conditions warranted", I authorized him to do the OPEN RNY procedure.  In most cases, large fatty liver deposits would be the likely condition that warranted the OPEN procedure.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Earthgirl1914
on 12/24/12 4:33 pm - GA

Dave, thanks for your reply.  Wow! You had quite a journey yourself.  Congrats on all that you have accomplished.

Earthgirl1914

Most Active