No Tolerance for the Optifast

Tereza
on 12/28/12 10:19 pm

I am currently on day 5 of taking 2 weeks of Optifast. I have absolutely no tolerance for it. It vacates my body about 15 minutes after I take it. I continue to drink lots of fluids but everything seems to leave. :(  I'm dehydrated and feel very weak.

I did call the dietician and she sent me a pre-surgical Bariatric diet via email and told me I must follow it to the letter which I have no problem doing. I am just very nervous that if I do this diet my liver won't shrink to where it needs to be.

Has anybody else experienced this? If so did the diet work for you so you still had your surgery?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated. :)

MrsLitch
on 12/29/12 5:42 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

Tereza your liver is shrinking  because you aren't eating the carbs and fat. As long as you follow the plan you'll be fine. You will lose water weight on it so you will often urinate a lot esp. the first week of the optifast diet. Up your water intake to make sure you are staying hydrated.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Tereza
on 12/29/12 6:59 am

Thank you for you response. However I'm no longer taking the optifast because I can't tolerate it. Upon advise of the Dietician I am on a diet that she sent me. I'm just worried that it won't shrink my liver enough for the surgery on the 8th.

kathkeb
on 12/29/12 10:36 am

The diet is probably high-protein/low carb -- and should work fine for you.

Stick with it ---- and get plenty of calorie-free fluids ---- and don't worry so much about the shrinking liver.

Your dietician's plan should work fine for you.

Hang in there -- it won't be long now!!!!

Kath

Tereza
on 12/29/12 11:34 am

Thank you Kath. I really love the support I see on this sight. I just wish I knew how to use it better. lol I am reading all the posts and and finding out so much information. Again thank you for the response.

Teresa

brandyle1975
on 12/29/12 11:48 am - Williamston, NC
RNY on 01/04/13

I am on Optifast and it does seem like I have a BM shortly after drinking my shake. I think it has to do with it being more "milk-based" or something. Not sure, but I am better this week than I was last week with them.6 more days for me :)))) I just wish they had chocolate for the Optisource!

Huneypie
on 12/29/12 8:48 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I get the exact same thing happens to me when I have anything with powdered milk (BM and gas very shortly after hot chocolate, soup, etc). My surgeon and PCP are both had both totally heard of people not being able to have milk powder.  My PCP said it's to do with the preservatives in dried milk.  I also have to check that the yogurt I have doesn't have milk powder in it.

This also means no protein powder either.  Lactofree milk, as well as fermented milk (ie yogurt and cheese) and cream are fine.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

SuzyNZ
on 12/29/12 4:31 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
I can't do Optifast either so just did a low calorie, low carb diet pre-surgery, with 2 days of liquids only (just so there was no real food in my tummy for the surgeon to be cutting through)

Caused absolutely NO issues. I had a fantastic recovery and was out of hospital 22 hours after my surgery.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Tereza
on 1/1/13 11:03 pm

Thank you so much for that! Makes me feel so much better. My surgery is in 6 days and I'm feeling a little nervous to say the least. I just want everything to go right.

Most Active