Why no Caffeine?

Tereza
on 12/31/12 11:02 pm

I am a week to the day away from having my WLS and I just want to know why we aren't to have tea or coffee with caffeine?

Happy New Year!!! :)

NurseBonBon
on 1/1/13 1:31 am - El Paso, TX

I'm thinking because caffeine can irritate your pouch.

Lori P.
on 1/1/13 2:01 am - Kenosha, WI

I was a major soda junkie preop (diet dr pepper).  It was hard to let that go  :)

About a year out I discovered that I liked coffee...never cared for it before.  I have about a pot a day now with no ill effects...but I also waited until I was long past my recovery period. 

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

NurseBonBon
on 1/1/13 2:10 am - El Paso, TX

Wow Lori! A pot a day! My hero! I work night shift and "rely"on my cups of coffee to get me through - I like my coffee like tar :)  I'm glad to know it's still a possibility after surgery.

whitetigers7677
on 1/29/13 7:46 am - Red Lion, PA
I have the same problem with coffee!! I will be 5 years out in April, and I gained 20 lbs not happy!! It's frustrating and scary!! I'm trying to get myself to drink hot green tea instead but haven't done it!!! U replace one addiction for another!!
MsBatt
on 1/1/13 2:11 am

I was given fully-caffeinated iced tea in the hospital.

Huneypie
on 1/1/13 4:39 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I'm guessing it's coz you're more like to dehydrate early out and you therefore want to avoid diuretics until you can get in a sensible fluid intake.  BTW I wasn't told to avoid caffeine, but I did for several weeks anyway.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

southernlady5464
on 1/1/13 4:47 am

I did avoid caffeine for the first month but after that all bets were off....my husband and I spent the 6 months prior to surgery switching to decaf coffee. I never drank much, no more than 2 cups a day but switching slowly helped.

I went back to regular coffee...but my ice tea is decaf ONLY because I can not find the bulk size at Sam's in the brand I prefer in the regular...it's only in the decaf. I'm not avoiding caffeine tea, just do not like any other brand and as much as I drink, buying it in the bulk size boxes makes more sense.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Eggface
on 1/1/13 6:59 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Everyone's Dr has adapted their "rules" based on what they feel is right for their patients. Most have you avoid/moderate for a time.. new surgery caffeine can irritate it, caffeine is a mild diuretic and we are easily dehydrated early on.  

My Dr.'s plan for decaf for 1 month then no restriction.

I've been having fully leaded since 1 month out with no issues... I would not be able to function without my espresso shots c[_] 

Ask your Dr if it's a forever thing on his plan.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

texasrigdiver
on 1/1/13 10:05 am - TX
DS on 11/29/12

My surgeon said no caffeine 3 months post op. i pleaded, rationalized and begged. My keurig needs me!, i love coffee, i had to have it. he finally relented and let me drink caffiene. I had a single cup the next morning. my usual, just one cup. Not sure but I think it kicked off a 3 day stall. that was about 3 weeks ago and I haven't had a cup since. I'm incredibly surprised at how much I don't really miss it.

I've read other posts that say the potency of the caffeine is exaggerated with a smaller stomach. I didn't experience that but I don't want to take a chance on stalling my weight loss anymore then normal.

"...the sun is the same in a relative way but were older, shorter of breath, and one day closer to death..." Pink Floyd 

LilySlim Weight charts

M1(22);                                        

Most Active