6 months post op, not losing weight properly, had major complications. Is this normal?

elanesse
on 1/1/13 2:00 am - Denmark

Hi everyone. I just joined, and I have a question I've been dying to get answered. I had rny July 12th 2012, and my surgery went horribly wrong. I had internal bleedings, and my doctors didn't react fast enough, so I ended up having 2 surgeries the same day, and I almost died on the table. I was at the hospital for 18 days. I was in such much pain, and I got this enormous blood accumulation on my left side. Even though im almost 6 months out, I'm still blue and black all over my stomach, in a lot of pain, and I still have an infection. I haven't been losing weight like I should. It is very slow! slower than anyone else I've ever heard of. I was told back then, that the weightloss will pick up once my body is no longer in shock. I haven't been able to find anyone else who's had complications, who is also experiencing really slow weight loss. Is this normal?

pcballott
on 1/1/13 2:08 am
RNY on 11/20/12

So sorry about the complications.  Do a search for slow weight loss or surgery complications and see what you can find.  I also think there is a forum for surgery complications here on this board.  I wish you the best.  I wish I could do more to help you, but this place has a wealth of information, so I am sure you will find some help here!

Kat1313
on 1/1/13 3:28 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/complications/

This is the link to the surgery complications board.  Good luck to you!

scarlettbegonias
on 1/1/13 7:19 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

The complications board seems pretty dead usually, I'd try posting his on the rny board.

ive had complications since my surgery, everytime I have a collection ( as the hospitals like to call it) forming my weight either slows down or heads up, once they get the infection draining out and me on antibiotics my weight starts going down again,you said you have an infection, is that a site infection or an internal one? Could ou be holding a lot of excess fluids?

im so sorry you had to go through all that, I honestly understand how hard it is and how frustrating it is when this is happening AND your not losing weight!

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

JJ_
on 1/2/13 12:02 am

Wow, what a way to start off!

If your body is still fighting off an infection, extra fluids are sent or kept within the body to help with this.  So no, your weight loss should not be spectacular. 

As well you do not indicate how much you weigh, nor how much you hope to lose.  This would give us an idea if you are a light-weight (which notoriously lose slower) or perhaps your metabolism is wonky from years of dieting??  Another point would be to let us know what a typical day of eating consists of and how much fluids do you drink.

Good luck.

Judy

Valerie G.
on 1/2/13 7:37 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Wow, hun, your experience isn't anywhere near normal, and it doesn't sound like you're close to done recovering either.  Best wishes that you get these problems under control so you can finally start experiencing the loss you've been waiting for.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/13 5:48 pm

If it was me , I'd concentrate on getting well at all costs .  To me , this would entail probiotics , lots of vitamin C and arginine to promote healing  and especially  walking every fifteen minutes as long as I could ... if I couldn't walk , using a hand cycle or other rehab type device to get my circulation going .  

The weight will come off when U get healthy and start moving .. don't worry .  (((())))) Hope U feel better and heal quickly !

I HAVE noticed that really bad complications often happen to people *****fuse to move ... even on the bariatric surgery themed TV shows ... that healing is much more difficult and painful and infections and complications much more serious .  I think there IS a reason our  surgeons try to get us  on our feet  and walking around ASAP  after surgery on the ward .  

I think U'll find that activity that  seems really hard (even almost unbearable ) the first day will be amazingly  easier and more pleasant the next if U stick it out .  Good luck ! 

Most Active