What surgery excuse do you give to family members?

sarapilar
on 1/4/13 3:12 pm
VSG on 02/21/13

My Mother-in-Law wants to know what kind of surgery I am having in 2 months.  I did not want to tell her, but, long story, I had to get out of a flying for a one-week family reunion trip out of state.  I said I could not go and due to my work and also "a surgery where I cannot lift our 1 year old and 3 year old".  So my husband will go without me, and take the kids on the plane (poor guy!!!).  She emailed asking what kind of surgery.  I wrote back and said "corrective surgery".  Should I say correcting something from pregnancy (like a hernia?  C-section scaring)?  I really don't want my husband's side of the family to know about my upcoming WLS...I really HATE lying, don't want to lie to her face...should I say "It is private"?   It stinks that I had to mention it!

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Mary Catherine
on 1/4/13 3:58 pm

Sorry, but you let the cat out of the bag when you mentioned surgery at all.  You should have just used work as your excuse.  Lying now is just going to make things worse.  You are not going to keep your surgery secret after the massive weight loss starts, so you might as well the truth. Remember it is your body and your life and they do not get to talk you out of your decision.

My family and my husbands were 100% informed and very supportive.   He told everyone about my upcoming surgery, including waitresses in restaurants.  It as exciting and fun.  Let his family share in your good fortune.

scarlettbegonias
on 1/4/13 5:31 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

You have every right not to tell people you don't want knowing, there are lots of us that for lots of reasons don't tell family/in laws.

i would probably go with a hernia but will warn you that that story can get messy if you encounter complications after surgery( fingers crossed its smooth sailing) I think if you say it's private you'll more than likely increase her curiosity.

good luck with however you choose to deal with her.

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

bigred_z
on 1/4/13 7:01 pm - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

Personally, I wouldn't make excuses nor would I lie.  I am adult.  I have no reason to do either one. 

Since you're pretty much out there now though, you can either tell the whole truth, or simply state you don't want to discuss it.  If you give some garbage about hernias and post pregnancy stuff, then go and drop 100lbs, you're going to look silly at best.  At worst, you'll look like a big fat liar!  No pun intended. 

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

Lori P.
on 1/4/13 7:54 pm - Kenosha, WI

At this point just tell her is is a minor personal issue that you would rather not talk about.  That way she won't worry and you can keep it to your self. 

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

onmom
on 1/4/13 8:00 pm

Knowing me and my sense of humor I would say sexual reassignment surgery. I think I am a man trapped in a woman's body, ( no slam intended I have friends that have done this, heck the best man at our wedding is now a woman)

I just play dirty sometimes with my mil. She knows what my surgery was and spent xmas saying I lost it to fast compared to her friends that had it and lost it slow and look good. Followed by they don't eat how or as much as I do. I am now very active and at 8 months out working out and playing sports with the kids hard enough that my nut told me to aim for 100 g of protein and keep it under 2000 calories. At 8 months out i have lost over 130 pounds. I am normal looking now with clothing and her friends are older and started as much heavier then me. They may not make it to normal in their journey.

Would she respect the its private?

bigred_z
on 1/4/13 8:29 pm - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

You cannot change what she will say.  If she wants to be a gossipmonger, let her flap. 

You can however, choose what you do.  Don't let some nosy busy body force you to lie.  Also, when you say it's private if she continues, you stand up, interrupt, restate that the matter isn't up for discussion, PERIOD.  If she's still clueless, you suddenly have an emergency that calls you off the phone.  Enough times of abruptly ending a conversation should sink in for even the most dense.  BTW, she's not really dense, if she rides you that hard, it's b/c she knows you will give in.  And just the way you phrase things tell me you need yourself a pair of balls!  So...step up and tell her ass off!  Best of luck. 

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

thinlizzie12
on 1/4/13 9:15 pm - KS
DS on 01/24/13

I CHOSE NOT TELL ANYONE WHEN I GOT BANDED BACK IN 07..JUST MY TWIN, HUBBY, BEST FRIEND AND RECEPTIONIST. THAT'S IT. FAST FORWARD TO THIS DAY...I AM GETTING A REVISION TO DS ON 1/24/13 AND ALL MY CO WORKERS KNOW...ALTHOUGH NON O MY IN LAWS KNOW. IF THEY FIND OUT THEY FIND OUT....I REALLY DON'T CARE ANYMORE....I REALLY DON'T. I AM NOT ASHAMED OF THIS WLS. I FEEL FREE THIS TIME AROUND. DO WHAT YOU WANT.....THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS HON! GOOD LUCK TO YOU;)

Lori P.
on 1/4/13 9:27 pm - Kenosha, WI

I told everyone too...I don't lie or mislead people as a general prinicpal...seems silly and pointless... plus it is too much effort to keep track of what story I told to which person!  

I had more questions about how I lost the wieght...the actual time off for the surgery was brief and folks did not really pay much attention to that.     

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

cajungirl
on 1/4/13 9:57 pm
I didn't hide my surgery, however I respect others rather keep it quiet.

You've let the cat out of the bag so to speak by mentioning any type of surgery. Only you can decide what to say now but I will caution you if not telling the truth it could make you lose all credibility with your mil now. If that doesn't bother you then say what you want....I personally wouldn't want my every word to be doubted from now on.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Most Active