Opinions on Surgery Please, I need help

southernlady5464
on 1/5/13 10:42 pm

IF your insurance covers WLS, it should cover ALL of them, Medicare does. Now, with that said, you may have to fight for the one you want.

WHAT health issues you have now, other than being MO should direct your steps. IF you require NSAIDS or may need them in the future, stay away from the RNY.

If you have been on a diet most of your life, or have a metabolic issue, you need malabsoprtion.

Hair loss happens because with ALL surgery....it's just we are far more aware of it with WLS...embrace it as a way of getting healthy.

FIGHT for the one you want...do NOT settle for one.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/13 11:44 pm

That isn't accurate.  Medicare does not cover sleeves across the board, it's on a case by case basis.

Welfare and TriCare will not accept appeals for surgery types they do not cover.  It isn't going to happen.

southernlady5464
on 1/14/13 12:05 am

Welfare and TriCare will not accept appeals for surgery types they do not cover.  It isn't going to happen.

MedicAID is not the same as Medicare...Medicare IS NOT WELFARE. I EARNED it.

Tricare has it's own rules, it's no different than UHC or Aetna or BCBS in that regard.

And I said Medicare! Medicare DOES cover all WLS as long as you meet the criteria for any of them: Here is the memo for the sleeve.

Notice it has the exact same criteria as the RNY & the DS.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/13 1:21 am

Whoa... I  never claimed Medicare is welfare.  What I wrote was pretty clear.  MediCARE does not cover sleeves across the board, it is case by case.  WELFARE AND TRICARE do not accept appeals for different surgery types.

southernlady5464
on 1/14/13 2:05 am

The way you phrased it sounded exactly like you were claiming that Medicare was Welfare...which is also  an insult to those receiving Medicaid.

And the decision listed says Medicare DOES cover the sleeve under the same criteria as the RNY & DS...

I had the DS under Medicare and it has the EXACT same criteria.

As stated IN the decision:

Medicare Administrative Contractors acting within their respective jurisdictions may determine coverage of stand-alone laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG) for the treatment of co-morbid conditions related to obesity in Medicare beneficiaries only when all of the following conditions A-C are satisfied.

1. The beneficiary has a body-mass index (BMI) ≥ 35 kg/m2,
  2. The beneficiary has at least one co-morbidity related to obesity, and
  3. The beneficiary has been previously unsuccessful with medical treatment for obesity.

They have the exact same criteria for the RNY & the DS. The lapband may be used for those with a 30-35 BMI under certain criteria.

And actually, Tricare will go with a different WLS if the surgeon is able to make the case, cause we've had a few DS'ers' who have had Tricare, not many and there is only ONE surgeon who does it and he is in WA state but they will pay if the need is documented.

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/13 2:33 am

No, I was very clear.  Here is what I wrote:

"That isn't accurate.  Medicare does not cover sleeves across the board, it's on a case by case basis.

Welfare and TriCare will not accept appeals for surgery types they do not cover.  It isn't going to happen."

Nowhere did I write that Medicare is welfare.

southernlady5464
on 1/14/13 2:52 am
On January 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM Pacific Time, AtGoal wrote:

No, I was very clear.  Here is what I wrote:

"That isn't accurate.  Medicare does not cover sleeves across the board, it's on a case by case basis.

Welfare and TriCare will not accept appeals for surgery types they do not cover.  It isn't going to happen."

Nowhere did I write that Medicare is welfare.

And that LOOKS like Medicare is LUMPED under the "Welfare" label, which btw, is very offensive. The term is Medicaid...NOT Welfare.

Each state decides what is or is not covered by their policy. So a blanket statement on Medicaid is also NOT accurate.

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/13 3:59 am

No, it doesn't look like that at all.  I clarified all three.

Medicaid is most certainly not the correct term, it depends on the state.  AZ is AHCCCS, IA is Title 19, each state is different.  I have no idea where the OP is from.

Welfare is not a bad term, that's just mean for you to even write.  You lumped them all in together and claimed I wrote Medicare is welfare.  I wrote no such thing, I was extremely clear.  You merely misunderstood.

MsBatt
on 1/14/13 4:58 am
On January 14, 2013 at 7:44 AM Pacific Time, AtGoal wrote:

That isn't accurate.  Medicare does not cover sleeves across the board, it's on a case by case basis.

Define "Welfare".

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/13 7:16 am

Tax paid.

Most Active