Opinions on Surgery Please, I need help

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/13 7:17 am

Whether someone paid into the system or not.

Welfare isn't a bad thing, and to make it sound as such is just plain wrong.

thinlizzie12
on 1/5/13 11:09 pm - KS
DS on 01/24/13

WOW WHITEDOVE...THAT WAS BEAUTIFULLY SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!angry

Mary Catherine
on 1/5/13 11:42 pm

Thanks

Nic M
on 1/6/13 1:08 am

The lap band is NOT what it's advertised. It's damaging and torturous. I can't even fully describe the ways it's impacted my life negatively. It's the worst decision I ever made.

I don't feel comfortable recommending RnY, either, though, because I haven't had it myself. If you want the sleeve,  you should fight for it. Trust your gut. 

Best of luck to you. I'm sure if you visit the VSG forum, there will be people who can advise you. You've gotten good advice here on this thread, too. So, I hope all goes well for you!

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

mama_of_two
on 1/6/13 2:31 am - UT
Thank you very much for your responses! It gives me things to think about.
My insurance is State Medicaid, I don't know of anyone getting any other surgery other then RNY or Lapland on it, but I can check the Sleeve board.
I do not have many co-morbids. I do have GERD, and a hiatal hernia and PCOS.
I do not have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol or Sleep apnea.
I am 34 with young children. Since my BMI is over 40 I can have the surgery if I loose 10% body weight while doing my 6 month diet.
I am struggling to loose the weight because I am still nursing my baby and I can't take any appetite suppressant.
loulou1969
on 1/10/13 1:38 pm

Don't just think of co-morbids as being the ones mentioned above.    Swelling of the legs or feet,.. knee, back or hip pain, ...migraines,  shortness of breath,  all kinds of things are attributed to being overweight so they are considered comorbid plus many more.  I really thought my weight was my only issue and wasn't sure i could qualify until they started asking so many questions.  I honestly thought that only major life and death issues like diabetes, HBP, heart disease, etc were things they would consider for comorbids, but my insurance was  very thorough and helpful in getting my surgery approved.  Took less than a week. 

LouLou

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/13 11:42 pm

No, they aren't.  The vast majority of ins co's have very specific comorbidities they take into account.  Usually sleep apnea, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.  They are outlined in the policy very clearly.

loulou1969
on 1/14/13 2:57 am

As you said, the MAJORITY of insurance companies, not all.  And the comorbids are USUALLY diabetes, sleep apnea, and high blood pressure.  I am not sure about your insurance, but mine did consider other things than the ones listed above as co-morbids.  I am sure every insurance is different and you must meet different criteria for each one.  I was only stating that other things should be considered when speaking to your doctor or insurance company because I would hate for someone to discount something they thought wouldn't be considered a co-morbid and not explore every option.  I did that for several years thinking that I would not qualify.  Once I spoke to Drs. office and my insurance I found out that I did indeed qualify.  They went over several things that would qualify me for WLS other than the things most commonly thought of.  From start of process to Surgery took me less than two months.  I had a very good surgeon, great staff and my insurance was extremely cooperative.   It is up to everyone to check with their own insurance company and surgeon to see what their individual policies require.  As for me, this was my experience. 

LouLou

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/13 3:56 am

Correct, I did not say all.  ??????

DesperateDawn
on 1/6/13 9:24 am - FL
RNY on 11/26/12

I am 32 and a mother of 3.  I had my RNY on 11/26/12.  The only thing that should matter is what will bring you closest to your personal goals.  Most people who get the band end up needing revisions or wish they had had an RNY.  I decided to have an RNY straight off with a BMI of 42 and no comorbidities like you.  My Dr fixed my hiatal hernia that I didn't even know I had.  Talk to your Dr about the decision and what he recommends.  If you think you can't make a committment to changing what and how much you can eat then the RNY might not be for you.  I know people who have had the sleeve, 1 is doing amazing she committed to working out and eating better, the other has put on weight again.  So just make the educated decision and definitely go to some WLS support group meetings before and after.

Most Active