10 years ago...and I am back and need help

saralynne65
on 1/27/13 7:37 am
Revision on 01/23/13

I wish you the best of luck! Since you have a history of blood clots I would insist on having a greenfiled filter placed prior to your surgery date. It is for just such cases as yourself!

I know how you feel, I had the same fears & issues with severe joint pain, hypertension & asthma worsening. In spite of having the lap band placed in 2007. So had my revision to RNY on Weds. My incision sites are still so very painful but I'm pretty sure it will be worth it :0)

Hugs!  Go for it-just have that filter placed. I'm pretty sure with the history you have your surgeon would probably insist that you do as well.

~Sara

reversedgrace08
on 1/27/13 8:30 am
3.5 years after.I had my rny I had it taken down for medical issues I was having. Unresolved pain, memory loss, nausea and vomiting.
Despite seeing 12 yes 12 different doctors there was no resolution to my issues. ALL of my medical tests came back normal but I was FAR from it.
Having my takedown helped and sometimes omitted many of my post wls issues.
That's enough proof for me. For some people, the surgery just doesn't agree with us and our body stages a revolt.
Many surgeons will talk their patients nto a revision and if you are even the slightest bit worried,I say listen to yourself. Trust your guy. Sometimes fear is put in our path to keep us from harm.
Email me anytime if you would like to talk
[email protected]
Grace
guera75
on 1/29/13 12:33 am - Hanover Park, IL

Hi, I am in the same area as you!!

Have you tried consulting with Dr James Kane with Suburban Surgical in Hoffman Estates and Arlington Heights area?  He is amazing, and the BEST.  Myself and a few people I recommended him to are doing great, with speedy recovery!!!

guera75
on 1/29/13 12:36 am - Hanover Park, IL

by the way I was planned to have the lap band surgery, and the week before I switch it to gastric.  The best decision of my life, I am down 130ish pounds I didn't want to return to bad foods, and the lap band allows that to happen.  With dumping syndrome, you are forced to stay away.

meliss0725
on 2/4/13 1:57 pm - Plainfield, IL

I actually saw Dr Rantis in the same office. I liked them very much but my insurance coverage is better oif you do it throug a Center of Excellence that is associated with my insurance company. Its a pretty dumb loophole which is why I am looking into other oprions at the moment.

Nic M
on 1/29/13 1:04 am

Hi Melissa,

I'm terribly sorry you're experiencing this. I also had my band done about 10 years ago... but I had complications from the beginning and had it removed years ago. I have permanent damage from it, however.

I chose not to revise to any other WLS because of the traumatic nature of my banding experience. I have regained, of course. But I'm simply not willing to put my family and myself through it again, so I try to do it "on my own."   I can't advise you to move forward with any other surgery because I'm not in a position to do so, not having done it myself.

I do wish you the very best with whatever you ultimately decide to do. If you need a shoulder, feel free to message me and I will listen.

~Nicci

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

meliss0725
on 2/3/13 2:39 pm - Plainfield, IL

Hi Nicci, do you mind sharing your lap band removal complications and experience. I appreciate your response. I am a little more scared of what this band did to me inside than I am of getting a sleeve.

LilSleeved
on 2/4/13 4:47 pm

Hey Melissa!

I remember you very well from the LapBand forum!  I was a Bander for almost 5 years and had a revision to the Sleeve 4 months ago.  It was the best thing I ever did!  I really was scared about having 85% of my stomach removed, but I was having such severe Reflux that I knew I had to get that LapBand out.  My UGI showed slow motility, but nothing more and my Band was in good placement. 

The morning of surgery,  I was ready.  I had gained 42 lbs back and I was scared to death of gaining all my weight back!  It happens!  We are addicts to food and we will always be.  At least, I am. 

My surgeon found that my scar tissue was so overwhelming that it was causing my band to be extremely tight even when it was unfilled.  He had to dig it out of my stomach and was pleased that I had chose the Sleeve because he had to do something after making holes to get my band out!  My tubing was wrapped around my internal organs.  I never understood why the tubing was so long!  Insane!  He took pictures and remarked he had never once seen anything like it.

I love the Sleeve.  It works like the Band was supposed to work!  Purely restrictive.  I am able to eat chicken breast and turkey and steak.  I'm able to eat solid and healthy veggies and not get stuck!  I haven't vomited once!  Four months post op and I've lost the 42 lbs I gained and I've lost more.  Almost 70 lbs!

You can do this.  Take it one day at a time, go to your doctor and tell him, you want the Band out and you want to revise to the Sleeve.  Take a deep breath, you will be okay.  You need to be healthy and happy.  You deserve to be able to live a long and healthy life to raise that sweet son of yours!

PM me if you want!  Take care Melissa!

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

meliss0725
on 2/5/13 8:18 pm - Plainfield, IL

Thank you so much, you can sense that I am scared silly.  Did you use the same surgeon and did you have it all done during one operation?

LilSleeved
on 2/19/13 11:24 am

My original LapBand surgeon retired.  I was already seeing a new doctor for my fills, which I didn't need because of my sudden tightening and the reflux.  I hadn't had a fill in over a year, so I knew something was really wrong.

My surgeon did it all in one surgery.  He removed the Band and gave me the Sleeve.  He took lots of pictures saying he had never seen so much scar tissue or had never seen the tubing wrapped around my organs like it was.

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

Most Active