Any hypoglycemics using Octreotide?

Linda_S
on 1/31/13 6:12 am - Eugene, OR

Ugh.  As you know I ended up with the severe end of dumping syndrome.  Reactive and fasting hypoglycemia.  I avoid carbohydrates (except for veggies and a few fruits) like the plague.  Now the doc wants to put me on Octreotide.  It's something I'll have to inject a couple of times a day to help prevent my outpouring of insulin.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  I've been reading the side effects and they make me incredibly nervous.  Especially the one that says I might get erectile dysfunction!   But seriously, the heart, kidney, allergy, etc., complications sort of scare me.

If you've tried this stuff for dumping and hypoglycemia, can you let me know?  Thanks!

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

M M
on 2/1/13 6:18 am

It was discussed -- I was given a pill form -- must have been a different drug and it caused a gastro effect...

Linda_S
on 2/1/13 6:34 am - Eugene, OR

Oh - maybe it was the Acarbose you got?  I tried that -- nearly made me explode!  So, I told them no more of that.  I've tried the topamax and phentermine to help lose a little more weight - all that insulin makes me hold onto everything I eat - but my weight hasn't budged.  Phentermine made me super jittery and topamax made me severely depressed.  I guess this will be the last thing I try before going the revision route.  I can't spend half my life asleep!

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

M M
on 2/1/13 6:46 am

YES, Acarbose - it gave me the fahhhhhts.  Nothankyou.

I am taking Topamax 200 mgs and Keppra 2000 mgs (I think....) My brain is oatmeal.

Most Active