Some Post-op questions (one kinda gross).

katikati
on 2/10/13 12:26 am, edited 2/10/13 12:43 am - Eads, TN
VSG on 02/06/13

1) Before I had surgery, I had cut out all sodas for weeks, was drinking lots of water, and as a result, my urine was almost completely clear and looking great.  I know that's gross to say out loud, but I was so happy with that because I've had chronic UTIs in the recent past from drinking too much Coke Zero and not enough water.  I was just wrecking my system.  So, seeing that healthy turn, and it being something that I did on my own, for my health, was a huge step for me.  I've noticed since my surgery 4 days ago that my urine is really dark.  Is that normal after surgery?  I know that the nurses monitored my output in the hospital when I had the catheter, and even after I started going to the bathroom on my own, and they never said anything about it.  Still, being home and seeing it so much darker than it was is a little worrisome and I just want to make sure that is normal.

2) Starting last night, my stomach is insanely LOUD.  It is making so many noises.  I was on the phone last night and it rumbled so loudly once that my friend thought someone had driven down the road without a muffler.  xD  I'm thinking it's maybe just gas moving around, because it's all over the place.  On the other hand, I don't know about that because by an extreme miracle, I had ZERO gas pains after surgery.  I have had gas, but I didn't have any of the shoulder pain or pressure anywhere.  I'm so grateful for that!  So, the noises... what's happening down there?

3) I'm having a super hard time getting any protein in at all.  Is this normal the first week or so, and is it going to hurt me?  The surgeon said to concentrate on just staying hydrated for now, and that that comes first before the protein, because I can dehydrate really easily right now.  I'm just kind of freaked out by that.  I basically haven't eaten in days and days, since I've only had a couple of ounces of protein drink each day.  I was able to take the chicken broth at the hospital pretty well, and will continue that at home, hoping it also has some nutrients in addition to jus****er.  I'm just scared something bad is going to happen, or that it will hinder my healing or something.  Please share your experiences/thoughts on this, if you have them.  In the mean time, I will keep trying.  I'm finding the Syntrax Nectar nearly impossible to drink, so going to try Isopure Zero Carb later today.  REALLY hoping it will be better, because it's really my last option until I'm past clear liquids stage.

stlfocus
on 2/10/13 1:05 am - IA

1.  I would up your water.  Generally dark urine can mean you are dehydrated.  Obviously I would check with your doctor if water doesn't help.

2.  Noisy stomach comes with the territory.  Mine still makes a lot of noise sometimes.

stlfocus
on 2/10/13 1:19 am - IA

Oops computer locked up in the middle.

3.  My surgeon told me hydration was the most important in the first few weeks, but you need to keep trying protein until you find one you like.  They are out there but you have to "kiss a lot of pigs" before you find one you like.  I have tubs of icky protein left over.

Protein helps the healing process, so it is important to get it in as soon as possible.  Everyone on this forum has an opinion on what tastes best, but you will have to figure it out through trial and error.  Some of the websites offer samples, and I know a lot of places like GNC will let you return items you don't like.  Check the policy of the place you where you are purchasing the protein powder.

Good luck and congrats!

bizzybeejen
on 2/10/13 4:07 am

I, too, have been struggling with protein intake. But I finally found something that works for me. Instead of me retyping all of that...just go look at my first post called "I have PROTEIN HELP!!". The is also a tip about an app I downloaded that helps me remember to drink it. 

I have read that lack of protein can lead to muscle wasting. I was worried and scared...but I got my protein shipment an hour later and I am not worried now. 

Wishing you the very best and comfort soon. :)

Jen

hollykim
on 2/10/13 6:45 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

stomach noises,check. normal. mine still makes noise 3 years out.

Pee,check. it will darken until you are able to get PLENTY of fluids 64+ ounces a day,so don't worry about it right now. jus****ch to make sure it gets progressively lighter as you are progressively getting in more fluid.

Protein,check. humans can live for WEEKS without food of any kind,seriously.  Liquids,we get in serious trouble in DAYS without enough fluid. In addition,we are living immediately post op of of the ABUNDANCE of stored fat we have, right? That IS what our bodies have stored it for all these years,in the face of EXTREME abundance of food.

You are doing great.

Most Active