5+ year RNY post of - sharing some changes

Cathy_C.
on 2/13/13 4:22 pm - Brentwood, CA

Hi everyone!

I haven't posted in a very long time, but promised myself I would at 5 years (I'm a few months late - lol) to update a bit.

I lost a total of 118lbs within the first year after my surgery.  In the following 4+ years I've had about 30lbs of regain.  I'm not thrilled with that, but not discouraged as everything else is going very well.

I no longer have chronic hand and foot swelling, back pain, etc.  I now am a skater in training for my local roller derby team and this Saturday, I will run my first 10k race (that's 6.4 miles!).

Emotionally, I am a very different person.  I am happier, on a more even keel, braver and grateful every day for my life and my health.  Not all of this is a direct result of my surgery, but my surgery has improved every aspect of my emotional life.

For those of you who are pre-op or within the first year after your surgery, I just want to say congratulations.  You are doing/have done an amazing thing for yourself.  The road will be tough sometimes, but there are amazing and terrific things out there in your future.

Happy Valentine's day OHers,

Cathy C.

"One man's ways may be as good as another's, but we all like our own best." Jane Austen

airtouch29
on 2/13/13 4:44 pm - IN

Thanks for your message i am scheduled for surgery in a few weeks and nervous. Hearing stories like yours make me know im doing the right thing for myself and my future. Thanks

Cathy_C.
on 2/14/13 1:09 am - Brentwood, CA

You're welcome :)  Wishing you the best for your surgery!

"One man's ways may be as good as another's, but we all like our own best." Jane Austen

mvickyway
on 2/13/13 7:08 pm - NV
Nice update, ty! You are "looking" good
Cathy_C.
on 2/14/13 1:08 am - Brentwood, CA

Thanks Vicky!

Turtle Lynn
on 2/13/13 9:48 pm - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Happy (late) surgiversary!!!! 

Congrats on all of your accomplishments and thanks so much for posting and letting us know how well you are doing.  I am 9 months post-op and I love seeing posts like yours from people who had their surgery a while ago and are still going strong and living a fabulous life!!!!

Congrats again to you and Happy Valentine's Day to you as well!!!!! enlightened

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

Cathy_C.
on 2/14/13 1:07 am - Brentwood, CA

Thanks Turtle! Congratulations on your surgery too, how are things going at your stage?

Cathy C.

Diminishing Dawn
on 2/15/13 7:06 am - Windsor, Canada

Hi there! If you are on facebook please feel free to join my group "bariatric long-timers" for those of us dealing with regain etc.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Cathy_C.
on 2/19/13 12:27 am - Brentwood, CA

Thanks Dawn! I just put in a join request :)

Cathy C.

Most Active