Hey veterans: what do you know about WLS and long term metabolism?

Louise1974
on 3/3/13 6:59 am

So what are people noticing?  My understanding is that rapid weight loss and calorie restricted diets cause a slowing of metabolism.  Most recently this was in the news around those poor contestants of the Biggest Loser whose metabolism was markedly slower than expected after their times on the show (even after accounting for their smaller sizes).  Anybody have any anecdotal or research evidence that addresses this?  My bari program doesn't seem to understand my question (which is quite typical, sadly) and when they do answer they just tell me that I will be fine if I drink enough water and eat enough protein.  I do get plenty of protein/water and weight resistance exercise.  But even with all that, what are people's metabolic rates looking like long term? 

Mary Catherine
on 3/3/13 9:39 am
Before WLS I would lose at 1400 calories a day. Now I have to stay at 800 to lose
MyLady Heidi
on 3/3/13 12:21 pm

I never lost weight before wls unless I spent my life pewking in a bag.  Now nearly 8 years post gastric bypass I weigh less than 140lbs and remain here by dieting and eating thoughtfully  which was easy after surgery.  When you get the gift of a second chance run with it and do whatever it takes to be successful, whatever that means about my metabolism I could really care less.

KathyA999
on 3/3/13 1:48 pm

I have read some research summary results (although can't quote chapter and verse) that indicate people who lost weight to get to a normal weight, have to eat fewer calories to maintain that weight than those who have been at a normal weight all their lives.  I do find that I'm maintaining at around 1200-1400 calories these days, mostly protein and fairly low carb (zero fruit, sugar, starches and grains, all the carbs I get are from dairy, nuts, veg, etc), a rate at which I would have lost quickly, pre-weight loss. Isn't fair, but it is what it is, and I'm willing to do it.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

antoniopablo
on 3/3/13 2:41 pm - AZ

Our Metabolism simply depends on what we do , we have to be active through out the day !! 

as our physical activity will be active our metabolic process will be a good !! the people working like desk job - sitting job are more often have slow metabolic process !! There is only one option for this is to change our lifestyle !! 

Valerie G.
on 3/3/13 10:18 pm, edited 3/3/13 10:19 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

It really depends on which WLS procedure you're talking about.

With LapBand patients, I would totally expect the same results.  With RNY and DS patients, the metabolism is altered with the malabsorptive content of the procedure, so there is some permanent change in metabolism there.  The VSG is the surprise, where we thought it would simply be restrictive, however the hormonal change content of what was created by the outer curvature of the stomach is giving some boost, especially when it comes to Type2. Diabetes.  Patients are experiening immediate change like the RNY and DS, however I'm not sure how long-standing this effect is.

Now back to RNY and DS and the malabsorptive content:  The intestines do try to grow more villi to increase the level of absorption, so there is change, but never back to what it was naturally.  This is part of the permanent change.  I have also read that with some, that the intestines have actually grown to compensate some (still not back to pre-op).  

With WLS you get a good year of opportunity, then a second year of fairly easy living, then you need to start paying attention.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

M M
on 3/4/13 12:23 am

It seems to slow down with RNY - a bit.

I am sedentary - I am at 9 years post op - and I maintain around 10 calories per pound of body weight.  

This is a range of 1200 - 1600 most days, some high days to 2000 calories.

jennyrenny
on 3/4/13 1:46 am - Canada
DS on 08/11/12

HBO produced a great series you might be familiar with called "Weight of the Nation." I'm quite sure that on one of the episodes they discussed how people who were over weight and lost weight require 25% fewer calories than a person of the same weight who had never lost weight. In case I didn't explain this well, I mean that if I have always weighed 150 lbs (yeah...in my dreams) and require 2000 calories a day to maintain my weight and you weighed 150 lbs but used to weight 200 and have since lost the extra weight, you would only require 1500 calories to maintain your weight. I remember this pretty vividly because I threw myself a pity party when I heard it. As other posters have said, with the DS and RNY things are somewhat different due to the malabsorptive component of the surgeries, but from looking at the vets, it seems like your body does adjust to these changes after a while so we will have to be careful for the rest of our lives. 

HW: 365, SW (August 11, 2012): 351

onmom
on 3/4/13 12:40 pm

I had my metabolism tested and I burn more then I did presurgery. However I am so much more active now. I built a really good muscle base that i did not have before. I don't think it's is clear that you will have any one result.

I have found that those that increase heir activity level esp. the muscle mass an eat more on maintenance then those that dont.

MrsLitch
on 3/5/13 1:46 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

where did you have yours tested? I wanted to get a rmr but I'm not sure what doctor does it

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Most Active