Let's just place a billboard on I-75!

Cinn
on 5/7/13 6:58 am - MI

I am not enjoying where we are with healthcare in this country.

First I had to pay more $ for my coverage because I'm still obese according to their charts (after losing over 100 lbs).

Then my employer had representatives come in to preach to us. If we aren't meeting the 'requirements,' we have to join Weigh****chers, a gym, and/or a walking program. And we have to CHECK IN constantly to make sure we're making progress and still doing whatever it is we are supposed to be doing.

I'm having a lower body lift in June so I called my insurance company to explain that I won't be moving much at all for several weeks. The customer service representative asked me all kinds of questions about what I'm having done, why, how am I doing with my WLS..... 

I feel like I have to tell the world my personal information. I don't mind sharing HERE... on a forum designed for that sole purpose. But to every freaking person I come in contact with? My employer? The person on the phone? Why do they need to know how I'm doing on my diet and exercise and how much I weigh? That used to be between you and your doctor.

Is one denied all sense of dignity any more? 

RNY: 9/3/2008     LBL: 6/5/2013

dahoodman
on 5/7/13 8:55 am, edited 5/7/13 8:55 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

Do people with obese spouses and children also have to pay more for their insurance or just employees who are obese? If not, how is it fair that you can be obese and have a fit family and pay more than the employee who is fit but has a family of 6 that is all obese? That may not make nice with other employees but at least everyone will have to pay the same rate if there are other obese participants in the plan. This type of "group" rate makes me sickdevil. We are in a group so that as a group we all pay less. If we wanted individual plans then we'd go get one.

Anyway, I feel badly for the way you and other employees there are being treated. Are your HIPAA rights being observed when you have to share that information?

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

suzie12345
on 5/7/13 9:46 am

Unfortunately this seems to be the wave of the future.Some jerk came up with this idea and it seems to be catching on. (Reducing CEO salaries or Katie Couric's salary by a few million dollars a year is not a cost cutting measure, but screwing over the workers seems to be ok with these moron,bean counters.) My company started the same crap.If you tell the truth about your lifestyle habits, like drinking or exercising, you get a "personal coach" to nag you.  (Hey, I thought this is why you get married , lol)    

So you are certainly not alone.

Good luck on your lbl. Maybe after surgery you will lose enough so that you will no longer be obese. 

Allen Y.
on 5/7/13 12:46 pm - Garland, TX

where is the 'LIKE' button. LOL

VSG on 06/12/13
Wow, this sounds bigbrotherish. Where does HIPAA come I to play, here?

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Laura in Texas
on 5/7/13 8:13 pm

That is horrible. What do you have to do to meet their requirements? Do you have to have official weigh-ins??? Personally, if you have to call, I would just play their game and not tell them the whole truth.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Cinn
on 5/9/13 4:24 am - MI

We don't have to weight in to our employer but we have to check in with the doctor, have them fill out a form and submit it to the insurance company, who decides if you're being 'compliant.'

As far as HIPPA, I guess the insurance company has the right to ask all that in order to cover you? Our employer just carries the insurance. They actually get a discount for creating a 'Wellness Committee" and coming up with ideas to get us healthier. They implemented things like putting Purell out every here and there, having fresh fruit for the employees once a month, and putting healthier options (read granola bars) in the candy machine.

Whatever!

RNY: 9/3/2008     LBL: 6/5/2013

aphillips631
on 5/9/13 5:24 am
DS on 06/10/13

My insurance requires similar things. We have to fill out a questionnaire and based on the results, they figure out if you are considered "at risk". If you are "at risk", which could be overweight, smoker, a lot of personal stress, etc., you have to participate in "health coaching" or some other requirement (like a smoking cessation program) and have your doctor fill out a specific form. If you do not meet the requirements by the given deadline, your premiums go up! My insurance requires any covered spouse to do the same, but excludes children (I think). It's really a pain in the tail if you ask me, but I do it so that my insurance doesn't go up! It's hard to believe with the rates that I am paying that I am even getting a discount the way it is!!

Most Active