Anti-inflammatory drugs after RNY??

catasteams
on 4/15/13 8:59 pm - Big Lake, MN

I have severe ostoearthritis in my right knee with much inflammation and edema in the joint.  Is there any anti-inflammatory medication that I can take after RNY? I am taking vicodin for the pain, but that does nothing for the inflammation.  I had my RNY in Dec 09 and lost over 100#, hoping that it would slow down the arthritis in my knees.  Alas, NOT!!

Anyone with any info, I would appreciate it.  Thanks

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/15/13 9:13 pm
steroids - injections in the joins.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 4/15/13 9:45 pm - OH

Yep, steroids.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/13 9:49 pm

Personally I would take tons of Vitamin C  D and E .  And i would try to rest it .. stay off my feet 2 heal at least one or two dayz a week , then dance around ON my legs 14 hourz a day the rest of the time .  

Legz R made to WORK no matter what injury ... our bodies R amazing .  Still if it actually HURTZ  when I stand and walk its MY cue to SIT DOWN.  

I managed small scale athletic injuriez 4 YEARZ ... in a very real sense they make Ur body  grow and expand and become far more versatile and flexible and ultra-responsive .   No elite athlete ever becomes that without benefiting from ( and managing successfully ) daily training related " injuries " . The TRICK is not letting them get TOO big and actually hamper Ur performance and comfort and enjoyment of movement .  

U CAN do this ... heal ... no docs needed   

southernlady5464
on 4/15/13 11:03 pm

Osteoarthritis is NOT an injury. It is a medical disease.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

MsBatt
on 4/16/13 1:15 am
On April 16, 2013 at 4:49 AM Pacific Time, meeow2 wrote:

Personally I would take tons of Vitamin C  D and E .  And i would try to rest it .. stay off my feet 2 heal at least one or two dayz a week , then dance around ON my legs 14 hourz a day the rest of the time .  

Legz R made to WORK no matter what injury ... our bodies R amazing .  Still if it actually HURTZ  when I stand and walk its MY cue to SIT DOWN.  

I managed small scale athletic injuriez 4 YEARZ ... in a very real sense they make Ur body  grow and expand and become far more versatile and flexible and ultra-responsive .   No elite athlete ever becomes that without benefiting from ( and managing successfully ) daily training related " injuries " . The TRICK is not letting them get TOO big and actually hamper Ur performance and comfort and enjoyment of movement .  

U CAN do this ... heal ... no docs needed   

This is really BAD advice. Firstly, osteoarthritis is NOT an injury, and it DOES NOT 'heal'. It's the body attacking itself, and the damage it does never heals. The inflammation can decrease, but that's it.

Secondly, she DOES need a doctor, because she needs steroids.

dahoodman
on 4/16/13 4:13 am, edited 4/16/13 4:14 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

Meeow2:

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

Raine
on 4/16/13 7:59 am - Anoka, MN

My surgeon allows his patients to take Nsaids for pain and inflammation if they've never been diagnosed with an ulcer. He allows them for short periods of time, ONLY with food and he prefers gel caps. Once gel caps came out many wls surgeons changed their stance on the no nsaid rule. I've been taking them since I was about a year out (10 yrs ago) and I've never had a problem. Many of my friends also take them. For those with chronic pain and inflammation there isn't anything else. Try the gel caps with your surgeons ok - take them only with food or on a full stomach. I know many post ops with arthritis or other joint pain that need the benefits of nsaids daily. If you develop any stomach issues see your doc but for most of us it's ok to take them. We all have to make our own decisions with this surgery and find what works for us. good luck and I hope you get rid of some of your pain.

Jen 11 yrs post op RNY

MrsLitch
on 4/16/13 5:13 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

NSAIDs no matter how they are delivered work by getting into your blood stream and they thin the lining in your stomach. In the blind stomach this can be cause for real concern as an ulcer can not be easily diagnosed there. While I'm grateful you have had no issues with NSAIDs the reality is it can cause them in many people and advising someone who has had or will have RNY that it is okay is not okay.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

catasteams
on 4/23/13 8:27 pm - Big Lake, MN

Thanks for the info, I will check with my surgeon.  I also have an ortho consult coming up.  

Most Active