Sleep Apnea

Jessica J.
on 4/15/13 5:06 am - NC

I'm currently in a bariatric program and nearing the end of my pre-requisites, but it seems I've hit a road block. I have been diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. I've had strong opinions for a long time regarding CPAP machines and the seeming new fad of diagnosing people with sleep apnea.

How many people do you hear about actually dying because they stopped breathing while they were sleeping (other than the old)? Discounting related illnesses, we're talking sleep apnea itself.

So I've been diagnosed and they want me to do a follow up sleep study using the CPAP machine. I don't feel it's necessary- I'm not going to use a CPAP machine in life at home. I know that. 

I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject and it seems that they aren't concerned about you during surgery since you'll be monitored during that, but it's after the surgery they are concerned since there won't be people monitoring you consistently and the added use of pain meds can interfere with the sleep apnea. I don't think I'll have any issues with the pain meds since I was on a morphine drip thing after my c-section last November and survived that just fine. 

So here's my question: Is it really necessary? If so, why can't they give me a CPAP machine for the few days after my surgery? Why should I have to spend hundreds of dollars on a follow up sleep study to be prescribed a machine I won't use? 

Can someone please give me actual advice on this matter? 

Brenda S.
on 4/15/13 6:41 am - FL
RNY on 04/09/13

I fought using a CPAP machine for years, but eventually I gave in a got one.  Guess what?  It helps tremendously.  Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to lose weight and get rid of that thing, but for now, I need to use it.  I can remember when I would stop breathing for a long time and in my head I'm screaming at myself, "You have to wake up and BREATHE!"  That was scary.  And yes, pain meds, antihistamines, and just being exhausted from surgery will make you sleep heavier and cause the sleep apnea be worse.  From what I understand, when you stop breathing your blood pressure goes up and it can lead to heart attack or stroke.  I don't think the worry is that you will suffocate yourself.

Good luck,

Brenda

mouser3
on 4/15/13 8:11 am - trenton, Canada

Depending on your clinic that has the cpap machines they may lend you one. The Clinic I went to lent me a machine I honestly got it about 3 weeks ago and it's fantastic and they said they have like 10 machines in the back that are donated to them and they lend them out from time to time. So talk to your local clinic and see what they say.

mouser3
on 4/15/13 8:13 am - trenton, Canada

also if you have benefits they may cover a percentage of the machine and the government also covers some of it through the Assisted Devices Program. So don't feel you need to spend hundreds of dollars the basic machine the girl told me if i needed to buy after taxes and adp paying some would be like $214 you just dont need all the bells and whistles... :) good luck.

kcrowell
on 4/15/13 11:11 am
VSG on 04/23/13

I use a CPAP and I sleep so much better. I have 2 family members that had serious problems from having sleep apnea. The first was my first cousin Robert. He was 38 years old and fighting the flu. He took some prescription cough syrup and fell asleep laying in his bed. He did not use his machine and we think he didn't mean to lay down either. He passed away that day. :( My other first cousin Jim refused to use his CPAP and had a stroke. If his mom didn't find him when she did, he would be dead. He's 34 years old.

So yes, you can certainly die from not using it. My Dr, told me I was one of the worst cases at my age that he has ever seen. He said I quit breathing HUNDREDS of times during my sleep study. It does take time to get used to, but I don't dare sleep without mine. It will greatly improve your sleep and overall well being. You will feel better rested in the morning too. PLEASE, PLEASE use your machine. It would be awfully sad if something happened to you.  

kcrowell
on 4/15/13 11:15 am
VSG on 04/23/13

Also, I was informed that if I didn't bring my machine to the hospital for my surgery, the hospital would charge me thousands to use theirs. I'm bringing mine.. 

If you have a hardship, some medical supply companies will grant you a machine and all of your supplies. They did mine. :)

daisy142
on 4/15/13 1:45 pm - TX
So I had a sleep study req by my surgeon to rule apnea out because I snore horrible ( I am pre- op) and the study showed I have mild sleep apnea but when I do stop breathing, my oxygen level goes from 95% to 79%. That is bad and he said he was surprised I wasn't having some short term memory loss. The study also showed I have restless leg syndrome.
So I reluctantly got the CPAP machine and have used it for 4 days and I have to say, I am so much more rested and awake all day long!
Give it a good try and see how you feel after using it at night. I am still waking up a couple times to change positions during the night as I am still getting used to it, but even then, I truly feel better.

HW = 370

SW = 322

GW = 180

Lap RNY by Dr. Dana Reiss

Stephanie M.
on 4/15/13 2:27 pm

My dad died of sleep apnea at 44.  I was Dx before my surgery, wore the little headgear for about 4 months total.  Slept like a baby.  

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

dahoodman
on 4/15/13 9:17 pm, edited 4/15/13 9:18 pm - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

With obstructive sleep apnea, which is usually what obese folks have, it's not all about dying because you stopped breathing. For most of us, we wake ourselves up and start again. The problem is that the lack of sleep due to waking yourself up 100 times an hour becomes somewhat problematic. You will feel much worse and will likely want to sleep all throughout the day once it gets bad enough. I was falling asleep in meetings at work, I would drive to work and want nothing more than to pull over and just sleep for a few minutes. By the time I was ready to go home for the day I just wanted to curl up in my office and go to sleep. Once I got the CPAP that all changed DRASTICALLY. I went on a weight loss program for about a year and lost 70+ pounds and found I no longer needed my CPAP. Yay me, right?! Well, as usuall for me, I started gaining it all back. So now the sleep apnea starts again. At this point I realize what's happening, but I resist the CPAP.

One day, while I was driving home from an early morning appointment with my kids (I had only been up for a few hours with a "good night's sleep") I found myself dozing and struggling to stay awake. Next thing I know I wake up and I'm in the wrong lane going head on at 60MPH for another car!! I managed to swerve at the last minute and thank God the other driver made no movement. At that point I made a serious decision to wear my CPAP again. I even went in for another study to make sure my levels were good and found out I needed to increase the pressure.

The right machine and head gear will make your life with a  CPAP much easier. You may not die in your sleep because you stop breathing, but you may just find yourself head on with another car or fired from your job because you can't stay awake in meetings. I don't know how serious your apnea is, but it really is no joke. Even if you only have to wear it for a few months while you lose enough weight to "cure" it, you should still do it.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

Jessica J.
on 4/15/13 9:33 pm - NC

Thank you everyone, for your advice. I really appreciate it. It's helpful to hear from actual patients and not only a doctor. I'll keep it all in mind. 

Most Active