No Insurance after WLS

Dr. Kahala B.
on 4/23/13 5:15 am - Cedar Hill, TX
RNY on 12/22/08 with

Ok, so I was fully covered while working on a job that had great medical insurance. Economy changes, layoffs and new jobs just don't offer good affordable medical plans or any medical at all. Any suggestions? I had the RNY Gastric Bypass in 2008.

Dr. Kahala Bolton

"Give GOD Your best and LEAVE the Results to HIM!"

MrsLitch
on 4/23/13 11:36 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I will be losing my insurance as well at just over a year out. I plan to just follow up with a regular pcp. A pcp can draw the annual labs that are needed. If you can't afford a regular doctor and the lab costs, check to see if your health dept. offers it. Our health dept works on a sliding scale, lets you make payments, and doesn't send you to collections if you are slow paying off.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Laura in Texas
on 4/24/13 5:17 am

From what I have heard from others here, it is hard to find private insurance after having had gastric bypass surgery. No one wants to insure us.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Linda K.
on 4/25/13 9:57 am
RNY on 08/01/12

Look into hospital clinic, especially teaching hospitals.  Call about charity care and other sources.

lyn

VSG on 06/12/13
Aren't there provisions under the affordable care act that prevent this sort of stuff? When do they kick in?

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/25/13 4:40 pm

My experience is not the same as the above posters. I paid for my surgery myself, as my insurance would only pay for the band or RNY, both of which I knew were wrong for me, and I wanted the DS.

I have had spots of no insurance, as well as 3 different insurers since then, Not only have I had no problems getting insured, but I've even had reduced rates because I'm so healthy (in the normal bmi range, SUPER cholesterol, super blood pressure, blood sugar, the works) and I can only thank my DS for that. Those were all problems - and more - before surgery, and I no longer take any medications or use a cpap machine to sleep. The DS specifically targets the issues I had best, and it serves me well.

I'm not sure if it's my labs and general health alone that has made it so easy to get insurers, or the fact that I'm also over 5 years out. so they see there is a track record of health.

Laura in Texas
on 4/26/13 1:08 am

Interesting. Did you disclose your weight loss surgery on your application?

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/26/13 1:41 am

I don't hide ANYthing, because I don't want to have some catastrophic insurance need some day and have them deny coverage because I lied or omitted something. The only thing that ever was a hitch was my asthma, which usually has a one year wait for coverage as a pre-existing condition.

Dr. Kahala B.
on 5/20/13 5:27 am - Cedar Hill, TX
RNY on 12/22/08 with

Thank you all for your responses. I am very healthy and I do see a doctor annually and do self pay so I have not had any issues but still. My biggest concern is that anyone that has had WLS need to be able to have medical coverage for life to ensure that they can maintain their health. That's just my personal belief. I have been doing lots of research and found that the government offers a plan for preexisting people like us that is called PCIP. Pre-Exisiting Coverage Insurance Plan. However enrollment has been suspended as of 02/2013. You can find out more info at: https://www.pcip.gov/ ---Prayerfully it will open back up.

Dr. Kahala Bolton

"Give GOD Your best and LEAVE the Results to HIM!"

Most Active