In Search of a Big Girl Bed - Updated with Review!

Sarahlicious
on 4/24/13 4:09 am - Portsmouth, OH

The following is a post I originally posted a few years ago when looking for a new bed, followed up with a review after three years of use. I get no benefit from IKEA for this post, (I wish). I just thought it would be helpful for the community.

In Search of a Big Girl Bed – Updated with Review!

Original post 3/13/10 – Let’s start with a moment of silence for the innocent furniture victims whose lives I cut short: 1 recliner, 1 plastic lawn chair (honest only 1), 1 tree house step, 1 wooden dining room chair, 2 couches, 2 box springs, and 1 metal bed frame.

You know how difficult it is to find JUST a box spring??? Probably about as difficult as it is to get information from IKEA.

My current full size bed is 7 years old. My mom bought it for me after I had major surgery. At the time I had given up on bed frames and had my broken box spring and mattress on my floor. When my mom bought my current bed she bought an extra support beam. Thanks Mom!

However, it wouldn’t matter how many support beams were underneath because the beams tip over. Currently, both beams are tipped over so I am only supported by the perimeter frame…and it’s still holding up!!! But, the frame has wheels, and my floors are wooden. It’s the easily shifting frame that causes the beams to fall. I could just be turning over in bed, the wheels move, the beams fall. It’s annoying. Also, I got rid of the brass headboard two moves ago because it never stayed secure to the frame.

In the end, I decided I want/need a new bed. I don’t have a lot of $$$ for this. I want to keep the mattress so I figure just stay with full size for now and in few more years I can upgrade to a queen bed (or king…I think that discussion is still on the table).

So looking around I found IKEA has some inexpensive bed frames. I have bought several chests of drawers, office chair, and other items from IKEA and have been impressed. But a bed? I mean a chest of drawers made out of particle board and foil is one thing…but a bed?

I asked for some opinions. I Googled. Then I did what any smart person would do and I asked IKEA!

I flat out told them what I weighed and asked for the weight limit/capacity of the two beds I was interested in.

This was there reply:

Hello Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

This product does not have a published weight limit. It is a well designed product and will provide good function for which it is designed. The design, weight capacity and function of each product undergoes test to ensure the product will hold up to normal use. If the product is used for something other than the designed function, IKEA is not responsible for loss to personal injury or property.

We do hope that this information has been helpful, and we thank you for your inquiry.

Best Regards,

IKEA Customer Care Center

So can I get the weight capacity at which you test the product??? And what is “normal use”. My mind could twist that in all sorts of directions. But basically I want to know, will the bed hold my fat ass and an occasional slumber party buddy?

Today I’m going to IKEA and jumping on beds. If I get arrested for vandalism, please someone post my bail.

UPDATE

Withing minutes of posting this blog entry IKEA replied to my follow-up e-mail I sent last night asking if I could get the tested weight capacity. I think it’s just coincidence.

Hello Sarah,

Thank you for your reply. We are glad to hear from you again.

As the weight in a bed is generally not motionless an exact weight limit cannot be determined. However, for full beds the largest weight that has been placed on these beds is 440 lbs so we would not recommend exceeding that weight.

We do hope that this information has been helpful, and we thank you for your inquiry.

Best Regards,

IKEA Customer Care Center

As the weight in a bed is generally not motionless —- I’ll have to behave myself. As for the 440lbs…guess that means no slumber party buddy. =(

***Update to the Update***

I have now owned the IKEA LEIRVIK Bed frame for 3 years and I am very impressed with the quality of this bed. First, let’s start with the price $89.00 for a full size bed frame is EXCELLENT. $89.00 for any bed frame that can hold a SMO individual is unheard of, $89 for a bed that can hold TWO SMO individuals “in motion” is a super bed! Like all IKEA furniture the bed came in flat boxes that easily fit into the trunk of a two-door car, we did have to remove the headboard from it’s packaging. The key to this bed is it’s metal and comes with a steel beam center support bar. It was easy to assemble and has plenty of under bed storage space. I LOVE this bed, as I consider upgrading to a Queen size bed I think I’ll stick with the IKEA LEIRVIK. Note: I used my own mattress and box spring, the box spring makes the bed a bit high, but since I already had my own set there was no need to purchase the foundation or slats from IKEA.

I also wanted to write IKEA Customer Service to let them know, we have thoroughly “tested” their bed and it’s weight capacity exceeds 440lbs. Which again is AWESOME, we do not need any trips to the ER.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

chipmunk_roasting
on 4/24/13 6:35 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

This is a great review and a helpful pointing to a useful product.

Thanks!

Marilyn

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

Mary Catherine
on 4/24/13 7:20 pm

Thank you so much for posting this.  I have been looking for a new bed for over a year, as prepared to pay 2000 or more and this is so perfect.

Most Active