Plateau after 1 week???

Kim B.
on 4/29/13 11:33 pm - worthington, OH
RNY on 04/15/13

Hello Everyone!  I'm hoping for some help.  I had my RNY 2 weeks ago (Monday 15th).  Lost 19.6 lbs the first 1 1/2 weeks.  Since last Wednesday (24th) I've only lost 2 lbs.  Is this normal?  My husband says its like the people on biggest looser who hit plateaus on week 2, but I don't see anyone else mentioning it.

I also am having a huge issue with Acid Reflux.  Could this be part of it?

HW: 425lbs 11/2013, Pre-surgery 410.3lbs 4/15/2013
Find Me on Facebook name "Kim Wls Journey"

MsBatt
on 4/29/13 11:53 pm

First off, it's not a "plateau" until you've gone AT LEAST 4 weeks without losing either pounds or inches. My best advice is to stay off the scales. (*grin*)

Secondly, here's the science behind why nearly everyone 'stalls' about this time:

A "stall" at this point is inevitable, and here is why. 

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a sabertooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.

And thirdly, no, your acid reflex has nothing to do with your weight loss. Are you taking a PPI? You should be.

Kim B.
on 4/30/13 10:32 am - worthington, OH
RNY on 04/15/13

Thank You, that was really interesting.  I've never heard of that.  Explains why all those diet commercials are always saying "Lose 10 pounds in the first week!!"

I am taking Pepcid.  Dr. gave me 20 mg, which wasn't enough.  I've started taking one in AM and one in PM.  Still doesn't seem to be enough, and is making me feel awful.  Thats why I wasn't sure if it was connected to my week 2 plateau.  I see people post about weeks 3-4, and was worried if that's why mine was early. 

ajrober2
on 4/29/13 11:58 pm - Houston, TX
DS on 11/01/12

I had duodenal switch, but I have friends who had Lapband, RNY, and the Sleeve.  One thing that links us all together is the fact that weight loss will not be consistent.  You'll lose some, then stop, gain a little, lose a lot, then stop.  It's like a weird rollercoaster.  The best thing to do is stick to the program, don't stress, and trust that you will eventually get to where you need to be.  I started at 429 lbs, now that I'm in the high 200's, i'm hitting plateaus very frequently.  It's normal.

datachick
on 4/30/13 2:52 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Please read thru the forum, check the RNY forum, and all the FAQ's. This has been covered ad nauseam.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

Chilipepper
on 4/30/13 3:05 am

It isn't a plateau.  It's the body adjusting.  You are really in recovery mode right now from the surgery.  This isn't a rapid process.  It's a lifestyle change. Right now just concentrate on resting and healing.  You should be taking Pepcid everyday to help with irritation and to help prevent any ulcers from forming.  What you are experiencing isn't really acid reflux. You don't have a stomach anymore.  You may have some bile from your intestines causing discomfort.  The Pepcid will help get that under control.  Try to sit up rather than laying down to much during the healing.  I and I know many of us during the losing process would really only drop significant weight 1 week a month.  Try only to weigh yourself ever few days.  You will make yourself crazy scale watching.  You will lose and it will happen.  Just relax and heal and enjoy the ride. ;)

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Kim B.
on 4/30/13 10:34 am - worthington, OH
RNY on 04/15/13

Yes, I need to stay off the scale and make my hubby hide it from me.  I am taking Pepcid, but it doesn't seem to be enough.  I'm meeting the surgeon later this week and will inquire about this.   Thanks~ 

hollykim
on 4/30/13 7:10 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

can't believe you have missed the half dozen posts every day that deal with this.  it is the 3 week stall. You have just arrived at yours a week early. don't be suprised if it LASTS for 2,3.4 weeks before it breaks.

Most Active