Oh, brother. News story: Erie woman drops to 62 lbs after bypass...

VSG on 06/12/13

http://www.ajc.com/news/ap/health/erie-woman-surviving-after-dropping-to-62-pounds/nXjZ5/

Of course, the article is 90% shock-and-horror info, with no attention paid to the surgeon's skill. Just in time for me to start telling family and close friends I'm having surgery on 6/12.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Jackie McGee
on 5/13/13 5:21 am - PA

Ah, yes. Miss Patti. Let me just say that sometimes people have problems for a reason. Don't believe everything you read OR let anyone blame WLS in its entirety for some people's problems.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

petham61
on 5/14/13 1:35 am

Unless of course it the lap band, right ?

Jackie McGee
on 5/14/13 7:49 am - PA

I'm sorry, I don't remember being anti-any WLS, so I wouldn't say that.

What I am saying is I know this girl. Her problems are not 100% the weight loss surgery's fault. I am glad she's getting help for the complications she is having now, but I do believe had she listened to the help and advice she was being offered/given at the beginning, she would not be where she is now.

petham61
on 5/14/13 9:26 am

I was agreeing with you, you made an exellent point.

Jackie McGee
on 5/14/13 10:17 am - PA

I'm sorry! I work 3rd shift and the lack of sleep has me on the defensive :)

southernlady5464
on 5/13/13 5:27 am

Sounds like she was SERIOUSLY undereducated about what was needed AFTER her surgery in the way of labs and vitamins.

Remind your family/friends that you know there is lots of aftercare involved...such as taking EXTRA vitamins and getting the appropriate labs at least 2 times the first year and yearly after that.

Surgeons are CUTTERS NOT nutritionists...and even the NUTS toe the party line...you have to stay on top of these things yourself. Be proactive. The RNY and DS CAN be dangerous IF you are NOT willing to follow up with your own care and take the proper vitamins, etc.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

cajungirl
on 5/13/13 6:31 am

What Liz said ^^^^^^

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/13/13 9:03 am

yeap. Sound like mineral - vitamins deficiencies. Not enough of follow up

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

tommy_rebel
on 5/13/13 10:45 am - Pompano Beach, FL
RNY on 07/23/13 with
Who in their right mind would have major surgery when they only weighed 238 to begin with? I would kill to weigh 238.
Tommy 

"If you talk to God you're religious. If God talks to you, you're psychotic." - Dr. Gregory House

Most Active