open or laparoscopic r n y

browneyes65
on 5/27/13 3:31 pm - IN

how does the Dr decide this , what  is the reason ? does he tell you when he see's you.

shoutjoy
on 5/27/13 8:08 pm - Culpeper, VA

Hi there,

Yes, you will pick the procedure in most cases.  However, there are some medical issues which would require the open.  Laproscopic is a huge improvement over the open.  Less invasive and quicker recovery time.  Most folks opt for this in lieu of the open.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

dahoodman
on 5/28/13 4:30 am, edited 5/28/13 7:15 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

My surgeon does RNY open ONLY, but he does what he calls (or invented??) mini-incision open RNY. He does other WLS, but all RNY is open. My incision is just under 4". I also had my gallbladder taken out through the same hole/procedure. My recovery time in the hospital was no different than any others and I believe overall the recovery was very similar. I took off 3 weeks. I probably could have gone back to work after 2 if push came to shove and maybe, maybe a little earlier. I would not have wanted to, but likely could have. I was just tired more than anything. I was not in any physical pain. I am technically still on "light duty" and I'm not supposed to lift anything over 25 pounds, but I have a 99% desk job and I've been mowing grass and everything else I"m not supposed to do at home. :-)

I had no pre-op diet, no drains, no "take home" pain pump, I had 12 staples on my 1 cut, I was eating pureed foods the day I came home from the hospital, and I have had no issues. How much of that is related to the Open? How much is related to the Surgeon? How much is related to just pure luck? Not sure on any of those.

I don't know why there is a recommendation one way or another. I have heard that lap does have it's advantages, but maybe that's for those folks that have the traditional open RNY.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

Leanda
on 7/22/13 11:50 am

I had the same surgeon who only performs  the "mini -incision" open RNY.  My incision is also just under 4".  I did not have my gallbladder taken out but my recovery story is the same as yours.  No drains, no take home pain pump, and was eating pureed foods in the hospital.  My surgery was on Tuesday and I went home on Thursday.  I was totally off of pain meds by Sunday.  I have also had no issues with any of the foods that I have eaten, and I have tried almost all of the foods on the pureed food list.  I am just now transitioning to soft foods with no problems whatsoever.

I had two previous laparoscopic surgeries on my stomach for a different reason and I can truly say the recovery for the mini-incision open RNY was no more painful than the laparoscopic surgeries that I had.  

MsBatt
on 5/28/13 4:39 am

Most surgeons these days do WLS laproscopically, but a trustworthy one will tell you up front that the procedure *might* have to be converted to an open one, depending on what he finds when he gets in there. What's done to your insides is exactly the same in either case-it's just a matter of how he gets access.

southernlady5464
on 5/28/13 7:51 am

Mine does lap but will tell you upfront that it is up to him IN the OR as to what it actually ends up...lap or open.

I've had open surgery back i***** (NOT MY DS) but my DS and the gallbladder 6 months later were both done lap.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Laguerita13
on 5/28/13 4:25 pm - Morristown, TN
Southernlady- sorry to post this on this thread but i couldnt pm her directly so hear goes. I live in east tennessee and i see that your doctor was Dr.Boyce. I am contemplating going to him or Dr. Ray or colquitt of foothills wl maryville. At foothills they do not perform DS. and im thinking i am interested in that surgery possibly. Would you mind telling me if you were self pay or insurance ,reason i ask is i have tenncare and it covers RNY sleeve and band according to insurance verification from foothills. So basically my question is do you know if Dr. boyce could request DS and it be approved . Im kinda new to this. any tips and advice are appreciated.! ThNks Brooke
southernlady5464
on 5/28/13 8:09 pm
Brooke,
I really don't know much about TennCare. However, if its based on Medicare guidelines, they should cover the DS. I know Medicare does.

You could call Boyce's office and ask.

Good luck in your quest.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Laguerita13
on 5/28/13 8:52 pm - Morristown, TN
Thanks liz. i will dothat! Brooke
Sarahakers11
on 5/29/13 1:19 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

Mine is suppose to be Laparoscopic using the daVinci robot but I have been told that they have free reign to decide to do it without the robot or as an open at any time.  Its all based on what happens or doesnt happen and if they need to get in there for some reason.  I am excited about the robotic as it is said to have even smaller incisions then the standard Laproscopic and less recovery and pain.   the surgeon said sometimes the pain we get after in our backs, or bums is from the surgeon leaning on the body to get the right angle while performing surgery.  since we are bigger the angle can be tricky.  That doesnt happen with the robot.  Since the surgeon isnt leaning on the body.  Either way I was told up front that can all change but the plan is robotic.   I'll let everyone know how it goes :P

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

Most Active