insurance question?

jaifra78
on 6/1/13 7:12 am
RNY on 04/16/14

i am seeing a doctor to talk about having weight loss surgery in July , I have mass health, I was wondering if anyone else has mass heath or Medicare and what you did or had to do to be approved, like how long did it take and what were the requirements to be approved  

(deactivated member)
on 6/1/13 3:46 pm
On June 1, 2013 at 2:12 PM Pacific Time, jaifra78 wrote:

i am seeing a doctor to talk about having weight loss surgery in July , I have mass health, I was wondering if anyone else has mass heath or Medicare and what you did or had to do to be approved, like how long did it take and what were the requirements to be approved  

If Mass Health is primary you need to see if you even have WLS benefits and then see what their requirements are.  It varies by individual policy.

Just call your ins co and ask to see a copy of your policy on line and you can see for yourself.

jaifra78
on 6/2/13 1:12 am, edited 6/2/13 1:12 am
RNY on 04/16/14

I called them last week the person I talked to was really rude by the way,anyway she said that i need a referral from my PCP she was very quick to get off the phone so that's all i got out of her surprise  So I guess i'll see what the doctor says,I don't know if I should call the place I want the surgery and have them send in a referral.

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/13 1:17 am
On June 2, 2013 at 8:12 AM Pacific Time, jaifra78 wrote:

I called them last week the person I talked to was really rude by the way,anyway she said that i need a referral from my PCP she was very quick to get off the phone so that's all i got out of her surprise  So I guess i'll see what the doctor says,I don't know if I should call the place I want the surgery and have them send in a referral.

As I wrote before, get a link to your on line policy and see with your own eyes if you have WLS benefits and if they do what their requirements are.  Just telling you to get a referral is a fast way to get you off the phone so they can have someone else actually look it up when you file for a pre auth.  The doctor is basically going to have to do the same thing.  It will be faster for you to do it.

Sarahlicious
on 6/3/13 2:38 pm - Portsmouth, OH

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

Most Active