Mayo Clinic and Emory in Atlanta No Longer Banding!

MARIA F.
on 6/19/13 4:54 pm - Athens, GA

That's right. As of the last month or 2 these have terminated their banding program. They will still fill/unfill, but they will no longer place a lapband!

So I was just wondering..........has this trend continued in your areas???

FormerlyFluffy.com

poet_kelly
on 6/19/13 11:11 pm - OH

I"m glad to hear this and hope others follow suit.  I don't understand why any surgeon is doing a band or why insurance pays  for it when it has such a high complication and failure rate.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MARIA F.
on 6/20/13 5:46 am - Athens, GA

Well I know that at the OH conference in Atl. in 2012 ALL the bariatric surgeons that spoke there were very disapointed with band results to say the least. They were open and honest about their views of how dismal lapband results have been long term because of their high complication rate. Though I think all were still doing them, they quoted numbers from the years before with drastic drops in implants. As to why the ethical Drs. still do them..............that's a good question. I think the reason is that some insurances require them to do so. For instance, I heard with TriCare that for a Dr. to be on their approved list they have to offer 3 of the 4 major WLS's.

FormerlyFluffy.com

MARIA F.
on 6/22/13 10:10 am - Athens, GA

You know I can understand why some Drs. still do it. Some are more concerned about finances than patient health, but it is shocking that insurance companies continue to pay for bands!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

loverofcats
on 6/20/13 1:58 am

In northern CA, the large HMO, where my sleeve was done has been discouraging the lap band for the past few years due to the high rate of complications and lower weight loss.

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

M M
on 6/20/13 2:12 am

Boston Children's will not band in adolescents.  Only removals.

MARIA F.
on 6/20/13 5:51 am - Athens, GA

Good to know. Bad enough that it's being done to adults. So sad that children have been subjected to that! Which brings about the other issue..........what should be done? How young is too young for WLS?

FormerlyFluffy.com

PetHairMagnet
on 6/21/13 5:39 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
Personally, I think 25 should be the youngest age considered for WLS. You are making a major, lifetime choice. I also do not believe those mentally incompetent should have the surgery and was aghast to hear if at least two cases, right here, where those who are medically classified as mentally retarded had RNY. They are not equipped to be their own advocates for lifelong health and wellness.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/13 1:42 am
On June 22, 2013 at 12:39 AM Pacific Time, PetHairMagnet wrote:
Personally, I think 25 should be the youngest age considered for WLS. You are making a major, lifetime choice. I also do not believe those mentally incompetent should have the surgery and was aghast to hear if at least two cases, right here, where those who are medically classified as mentally retarded had RNY. They are not equipped to be their own advocates for lifelong health and wellness.

Actually a lot of adolescents do really well with WLS.  Some surgeons will tell you they make better patients than adults.

Growing up is hard enough, growing up seriously fat is way too hard.  For the right kids surgery work well.

MARIA F.
on 6/22/13 10:18 am - Athens, GA
On June 22, 2013 at 12:39 AM Pacific Time, PetHairMagnet wrote:

I don't agree with that. I think some WLS's for teens is fine, but as to the age.........can't really say. It's sad that so many are missing out on what could be awesome teenage experiences b/c of their weight, so I do think it should be available to some teens. I think it should be based on maturity though.

Now as far as those incompetent. I can see both sides. If they are MO their quality of life is affected. I think if they have qualified care to follow through on their medical treatment and maintain nutritional needs it should not be a problem.

Not sure if you are familiar with Praer-Willis Syndrone? I think that's the name of it. They have I think a very low IQ and part of the disease is they crave food all the time. I understand that they have had success with the DS with the PWS patients.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active