stomach removal through bellybutton??

Laguerita13
on 6/30/13 4:49 am - Morristown, TN
My surgeon told me he makes 5 incisions for lap vsg. And that he removes the stomach through the bellybutton. I do not want an incision in my bellybutton. can i request it be taken out and another place??

poet_kelly
on 6/30/13 4:53 am - OH

Well, you can request it, but I would assume he takes it out wherever it is easiest to take it out.  He may or may not agree to alter the surgical procedure that he believes is safest and most effective.  Why would you want him to do it differently, if that's the way he believes is best?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Laguerita13
on 6/30/13 5:06 am - Morristown, TN
I personally have a very deep bellybutton. I am afraid of it not healing or having constant drainage because of the fact that it wont heal. Again i am afraid of infection because since my BB is deep it is a dark, moist place perfect for infection to set up. i would be more comfortable with an incicion above my BB instead of in my BB. The scar doesnt matter to me.

poet_kelly
on 6/30/13 5:26 am - OH

That would be something to discuss with the surgeon.  I'm sure he doesn't make an incision in the belly button in cases in which he think it would be likely to lead to infection.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

VSG on 06/12/13
My largest incision is in the top of the BB, which is also cavernous. The incision is about 1.5 inches. It has taken the most time to heal. Today it feels "pinchy", which happens from time to time I think because of scab tissue. Doc says I can swab with alcohol and/or use bacitracin if I am concerned about healing. No mederma or other lotions till 6 weeks out. This was a direct route into the peritoneal cavity and they want to manage infection risk carefully.

Another thought is that I have been wearing dresses and other clothes without waistbands, and I think this has helped to keep the area open and aerated.

Good luck to you on your journey!

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Laguerita13
on 6/30/13 5:37 am - Morristown, TN
Thanks kelly.

sleevegirl
on 6/30/13 6:11 am - Austin, TX

You can bring up the concerns, but... he's your surgeon. You chose him, I assume, after a lot of research. All have their own techniques that they are comfortable with and work for them. I'd not try to tell him how to do his job... but absolutely ask questions if you have them to make sure you're comfortable as well.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Laguerita13
on 6/30/13 7:58 am - Morristown, TN
I would never tell him how to do his job, how ever i just tthoguht that as a patient.. we have some say in what happens to our body.. i honestly dont feel that doing the incision an inch above my bb instead of INSIDE my bb would significantly interupt his routine. I would hope he would be skilled enough to accomidate his patient with this small request. At least i hope. thanks everyone

Laguerita13
on 6/30/13 8:01 am - Morristown, TN
Is there anyone who had and incision INSIDE their bellybutton?? what was you experience with that? This is truly something i would like to avoid as i have heard from people i know that it was hard to heal up, and had constant drainage. thanks

VSG on 06/12/13

Mine is on "ceiling" of my BB. You can't see it just from looking at me. I have to roll my stomach up to see it. My full answer is above, but it is larger than the others. It is healing and the scab is smaller each day.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Most Active