My Letter to Boy Scouts CEO: I was morbidly obese and went to camp

Sarahlicious
on 7/17/13 11:55 am - Portsmouth, OH
Go Big. Get Wild. But not you, you're too big.

Go Big. Get Wild. But not you, you’re too big.

As a member of the Obesity Action Coalition, I received a Bias Buster Alert regarding the Boy Scouts of America’s BMI policy excluding participation in this years Jamboree.

Below is my letter to CEO, Wayne Brock. I encourage you to speak out on this issue and contact Mr. Brock. More information can be found on the OAC Bias Buster page: http://www.obesityaction.org/weight-bias-and-stigma/bias-bus ters/boy-scouts-of-america

Dear Mr. Brock,

As a member of the Obesity Action Coalition, I am writing to express my disappointment in the Boy Scouts of America’s BMI policy for attendees of the 2013 Jamboree. I live in southern Ohio, near the border of West Virginia, so I have seen a lot of local news coverage about the Summit and the excitement for this year’s Jamboree. It saddens me to know young men are being excluded from this “Wild and Wonderful” experience simply based on their weight.

I understand the BSA’s concern for health and safety, however, BMI is not a good indicator of health. As a morbidly obese child and teen I participated in many activities including attending 4H Summer camp. My cabin was at the top of the second hill, the restrooms and showers were on the first hill. Was it easy for me to climb the hills several times a day? Of course not, but I did it because I wanted to participate in camp, and as the days went by the climb became easier and I gained a sense of accomplishment. I participated in many camp activities, and there were of course some I was unable to participate in because of my weight, however, just being there and seeing all the possibilities motivated me to be more active so I could participate the following summer. If BSA were truly concerned with the overall health and wellbeing of your scouts you would encourage participation in the Jamboree no matter the fitness level. After all, HEALTH is more than just physical, there is also emotional and social element to health and wellness. Which is really better for health: these young men participating at the Jamboree with their peers, or sitting at home?

I also wanted to point out that many children and adults of normal size can suffer health emergencies during strenuous activities. I was in marching band and never once had an emergency while many friends often had asthma attacks after a performance. Also, consider the sad occurrence of children and adults with unknown cardiac issues collapsing during sporting events.

In addition, I am interested to know if Boy Scouts with other physical limitations are excluded from participating in the Jamboree? Are Boy Scouts with physical disabilities that require use of a wheelchair or other accommodations able to participate? I do hope the answer is, yes. If accommodations are being made for their inclusion than accommodations should be made so that ALL scouts can participate.

I look forward to your review of this policy and forthcoming changes.

Sincerely,

Sarah M. Bramblette

OAC Member

Blog: born2lbfat.com

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

TXKashmir
on 7/18/13 1:15 am - Grand Prairie, TX

Copying and pasting my comment from the original article in case you miss it, Sarah...

Thank you, Sarah. I read your letter, and it was beautifully written - I'm so proud to have people like you in our corner. Although I am no longer considered obese, that girl is still inside me, and I will always consider myself an advocate. Obesity is not a bad behavior to be punished, but a symptom of physical/emotional issues to be treated. Keep up the great work!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

Sarahlicious
on 7/18/13 1:20 am - Portsmouth, OH

Thank you.

I know many obese might not want to go, as it the required walking to and from camp sites would be too hard, but for the ones who DO want to go and give it a try..let them! I'm not implying "accommodations" like golf carts, no, you know full well you're going to have to hike, but there is swimming, and activities they can participate in, it's not all ziplining, and rock climbing, but even so give them the chance to TRY it if they want! The video says something like "it won't be fun for you, or us"... OMG you'd ruin our fun? WOW

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

LVeronica
on 7/21/13 11:09 am

Sounds like a class action lawsuit to me.

pineview01
on 7/21/13 11:47 am - Davison, MI

I will most likely be burned at the stake for this one.  I can understand both sides.  But, this isn't just an over night camp out.  This is a very physical event.  We are seeing young physical fit athletes dropping dead from undiagnosed heart issues.  I don't see a problem with the organization putting on the restriction as they don't want these young people dying during the event.  There would also be the emotional issue as they unfit child would be left behind when not able to keep up.  I wonder how they are able to include other disabilities

I just don't buy into the thought that ALL people should have to be allowed to do EVERYTHING!  But, as stated, I am sure there will be a law suit.  

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active