Hiatal Hernia and Sleeve

mmmesser
on 7/26/13 8:43 am

Has anyone gotten into surgery and your surgeon found a Hiatal Hernia?  I hear that sometimes Hernias are asymptomatic but when in surgery the surgeon sees it...do surgeons fix it?  the reason I ask is because I've recently had some issues and after doing a search I find that it could be a hernia.  I've already met with the surgeon for pre-op and just figure if he sees something as such then he will take care of it regardless so...just wondered if anyone else has had any experience with this issue.

Michele H.
on 7/26/13 10:12 am - NJ

Yup, had one  the  surgeon repaired it

Michele

mmmesser
on 7/26/13 10:15 am

Thanks for replying so quickly.  I can't imagine that if the surgeon saw something that is completely associated with the stomach that he wouldn't manage it as such.  Anyway, thanks again.

themexcellentone
on 7/26/13 2:56 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

I did not have one but my surgeon let me know beforehand that if he found one while he was in there that he'd fix it.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

benevola
on 7/26/13 4:04 pm - Des Moines, WA
VSG on 07/17/13

I had an upper GI done the week before surgery to check specifically for a hiatal hernia (I had one). My surgeon said it wasn't a big deal and he could easily fix it while he was in there for the sleeve since it wouldn't really be possible to do the sleeve while part of my stomach was shoved up into my chest cavity. 

mickeymantle
on 7/27/13 9:24 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

Had 1

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

mmmesser
on 7/27/13 10:02 am

Thanks for replying back.  I just sent an e-mail to my surgeon's nurse just to ask her about typical procedure if one became obvious during surgery.  Hopefully, she will reply back with the answer I anticipate.

Susan R.
on 7/27/13 10:07 am - Harriman, TN
DS on 07/23/13

I had my BPD/DS done this past Tuesday.  My surgeon found that I had a very large hiatal hernia, which was undiagnosed.  He repaired it before he continued with my surgery.  The surgery took longer, but I am doing great, so far!

JLS_NJ
on 7/27/13 12:04 pm
RNY on 10/15/13
I am still trying to decide on which surgery, I didn't even think to tell my Dr that I have a hiatal Hernia. I was diagnosed years ago, I also have diverticulitis. With that information do you think one procedure would be better than the other?
MsBatt
on 7/28/13 1:33 am

Hiatal hernias are very common, especially in obese people. Pick your WLS based on how you want to live the rest of your life. If you haven't already, research the Duodenal Switch---it has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period.

Most Active