First meeting with surgeon tomorrow...what is critical to ask?

Slurpee_girl
on 8/8/13 11:25 am - Middletown, MD

I'm researching two doctors and not 100% set on the procedure. (Between sleeve and bypass) any guidance on questions to ask? 

Eggface
on 8/8/13 11:51 am - Sunny Southern, CA

How exciting!! Some Q's to think about asking...

1. What procedures do you perform and why? - Make sure they perform the options you are researching, talk to him/her and other patients here about your lifestyle and gather as much info as you can.
2. How many of each procedure have you performed? You don't want to be the guinea pig ;) 125 is what you have to do for COA (center of excellence rating, I believe), readmittance stats
3. Do you have an after care program?  support groups, nutritionist, therapists, online/in person.
4. Ask him/her about risks and complications.. what is normal and what your personal health issues will add to those normal risks
5. What will the hospital stay be like? How long, on a bariatric floor.
6. What kind of follow-up appointments post surgery will occur, check ups, etc.
7. Lifestyle Q's: What will eating be like after surgery (phases), when you can exercise, vitamin regime, lab tests. You are welcome to take a look at my blog http://www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com it's my post-op life for the past 7 years so lots of life after stories and recipes.
8. Pre-op time line and what tests will be required before surgery... some of this is insurance related and Dr. may require more or less.

Hope these give you a good start on your list.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Member Services
on 8/8/13 12:15 pm - Irvine, CA

Here is a link to a list of questions that that may help! Best wishes, this is an exciting time for you!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/choosing-a-bariatric-c enter-questions-to-ask-your-bariatric-surgery-program.html

One step at a time....you will get there!

karenp8
on 8/9/13 12:07 am - Brighton, IL

Great questions posted above. I would also look at the office staff and others like dietitian and psychologist who will work with you. Do they seem helpful and organized? I had a choice of 2 programs and liked both doctors  but support staff was the deciding factor for me. I wanted people who I felt comfortable working with long term.

Slurpee_girl
on 8/9/13 9:31 am - Middletown, MD

Thanks for the great information. I realy appreciate it.

Most Active