Protein Shakes: Meal or liquid?

omiomezzo
on 10/4/13 10:32 pm
RNY on 09/19/13

Hey OH community,

I am slightly confused about protein shakes.  I use Syntrax Nectar in Cappuccino, and it is delish.  I usually make it with unsweetened almond milk and a couple of ice cubes.  Do shakes count towards your daily water intake, or should they be counted as a meal, or both?  I am 16 days post op, and while I have no problem getting my liquids down, what I can eat is minimal, so I am now trying to up my protein intake, to the 40-60 gram range, while since surgery it has been around 15 grams daily.  Any advice is useful.  Thanks in advance!

367 (HW)       357 (SW)          180 (GW)

Gina 21 Years Out
on 10/5/13 12:22 am - Burleson, TX

I have always counted shakes as both meals and water. The only thing I DON'T count toward my daily fluid intake is COFFEE. because I don't drink decaf.

For ME-To count as a MEAL, my shake needs to have at least 15-20 gm protein, and about 150-200 calories, counting my milk/fruit..but I am 11 YEARS post...does your guidelines give specific instructions on this?

At 16 DAYS post, you still need to be concentrating on FLUIDS, more than anything else, and it sounds like that is what you are doing. Kudos! Are you using myfitnesspal, or some other monitoring tool to keep up with what you are getting in? You should be getting that 15 gm of protein in ONE shake, if you are able to drink a whole serving

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

A. Kondrlik
on 10/5/13 1:20 am
VSG on 01/24/13

Yes, this early out definitely count your shakes as fluids.  The first few weeks, i made my shakes with nonfat milk and diluted them down half way with water, so i got a double fluid whammy with each one.  I basically sipped shakes nonstop all day and was able to get my fluids and protein in. i also LOVE syntrax cappuccino shakes.  Something I drank alot early out was a vanilla shake (I used unjury but any would work, with half skim and half water wiith some orange drink mix mixed in.  Tastes like a dreamsickle.

Sounds like you are on the right track.  I used 'real' milk because it has 8 gms of protein per glass.  I drank plain skim milk as my liquid between meals quite often;

anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/6/13 10:28 am - OH

Both

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/13 1:18 pm - guizhou, XX

With the cheap trx Exercise programs,getting the right amount of sleep are all components of a fitness with the TRX program. You can develop your own program to improve your health, your lifestyle or your appearance.
You don't have to join a gym to burn calories. In this, we will show you some ways to workout without hitting the gym or hiring a trainer With the trx suspension training.

Most Active