New and needing advice!!!

CassieM
on 10/17/13 7:39 am - St.Thomas, Canada

Hi everyone!

My name is Cassie and I am 30 years old from southwestern ontario!!! I have type 2 diabetes,  rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. I am a single mother to an amazing 4 year old daughter! I have done a lot of research and believe gastric bypass surgery is right for me! My Bmi isn't above 40 but it is above the 35 it is required to be due to the diabetes. I have my orientation in Hamilton Ontario next month (Woooohooooo) and I am wondering if there are any things I can be doing to try to hurry the process along? Don't get me wrong, I am prepared to have a LONG wait ahead, but I'm so excited at the chance to finally feel better again that I don't want to miss out on any opportunity that may help. 

Also wondering what the post orientation timeline was like for any recent Hamilton patients???

Thanks so much,

Cassie.

Oh, I forgot to mention I don't smoke, don't drink and don't do drugs so I have those taken care of. I have also already kicked my pop addiction in preparation 

Member Services
on 10/17/13 7:58 am - Irvine, CA

Hi Cassie,

Congratulations on taking control of your life and weight loss journey.  Be sure and check out OH's home page, with great articles, blog entries, before and after photos and much more.   ​​ Here are some Weight Loss Surgery Resources.

About Obesity

About Weight Loss Surgery

Medical Necessity

Post-op Planner

BMI Calculator

Health Tracker

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-proc edure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practic e-2/http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-proc edure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practic e-2/

If you have not done so, please be sure and post this on the Ontario Forum  

If you need any further assistance, please let us know at [email protected]

Regards,

Member Services

MsBatt
on 10/17/13 8:35 am

What medications do you take for your arthritis? I ask because after the RNY/gastric bypass, NSAIDs are generally a bad idea. Also, with diabetes, your best bet for complete, permanent remission isn't the gastric bypass, but the Duodenal Switch. (Which would also allow you to still take NSAIDs.)

The DS is harder to get in Canada, but if it's the best surgery for your individual problems, it's worth fighting for.

CassieM
on 10/17/13 8:46 am - St.Thomas, Canada

I am currently taking methotrexate for the arthritis. We are at the point where it isn'thelping much anymore so we are going to be looking different options. I will have to do some research on that and see what Ohip has to say about that. 

Thanks!!!!

CassieM
on 10/17/13 8:54 am - St.Thomas, Canada

I just read up on the duodenal switch being done in Canada and currently only one doctor will do it. Ironic it is the doctor at St Joes Hamilton which is where my orientation is!!!!! Maybe it was meant to be!!!!!

MsBatt
on 10/18/13 1:07 am

I'm pretty sure there are at least two---Dr. Gagner and Dr. Hong. And seems like I heard there's a new one also. But yes, maybe it's a sign! (*grin*)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/22/13 9:25 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm not sure how the process works in Canada, but is it possible to get a list of all required documentation for the surgery in advance? My surgeon requires a sleep study, cardiology stress test, psychiatric clearance, and height/weight history from your GP to be submitted to insurance. I also needed documentation of a medically-supervised or commercial diet plan for 2 months (some insurance requires 6 months).

If you can get a head start on that, especially the diet bit (I just had to check in with my GP while dieting in two consecutive months, going in for the second visit later this week) that could hopefully speed things up a bit.

Most Active