Bi-polar diagnosis and Medicare

mobailey68
on 10/21/13 3:23 am
RNY on 02/24/14

Hello Everyone,

I just filled out my questionnaire for my psych evaluation and I am nervous because I have a diagnosis of Bi-Polar.  I have been stable on my medication for over seven years.  I was wondering if anyone has had experience with Medicare and being Bi-polar.

I am concerned that they will deny my surgery.

Thank you for your feedback,

Mo 

MsBatt
on 10/21/13 4:01 am

Medicare doesn't pre-approve ANYTHING. If you meet the guidelines---and your surgeon should know what they are---you have surgery, your surgeon submits, Medicare pays.

If you've been stable on your meds for that long, no one should think twice about accepting you for WLS.

What form of WLS are you considering? I urge everyone to research the VSG/Sleeve, the RNY/gastric bypass, and the DS/Duodenal Switch. If you take NSAIDs for any reason (Google NSAIDs---you'd be surprised how many things they're in!), you'll want to look very closely at the Sleeve and the DS. Both these surgeries have the same small but still fully-functional stomach, and no blind, remnant stomach where unseen ulcers can form.

If portion control is all you need, look into the Sleeve. All it does is limit how much you can eat at a time. NO surgery will stop you from grazing or eating so-called 'bad' foods. (I'm of the opinion that there are no bad foods, just bad quantities of certain foods.)

If you're diabetic, have high cholesterol, or certain other health problems, look at the DS. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period, and the best stats for resolving or preventing things like diabetes and high cholesterol. The RNY helps with these conditions but not to the degree that the DS does.

If you have TERRIBLE GERD, look at the RNY. The RNY is probably the best surgery for this particular probelm. (However, I must add that I had terrible GERD pre-op, and my DS completely cured it, nearly ten years ago. It's so wonderful to be reflux free!)

Also, visit the Revision board before you make your final decision. Learn from others' mistakes, as much as you can.

Good luck!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/21/13 5:14 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I don't know about Medicare, but I have bipolar as well. My insurance (BCBS) requires a psych eval for everyone, regardless of mental health diagnosis, and if you already have a diagnosis your doc just needs to make a note that you're on meds and stable. If so, it's apparently a non-issue; my psychiatrist said he's had several other bipolar patients undergo the surgery, and their mental health history didn't cause any insurance problems.

Hope this helps!

alive1218
on 10/22/13 5:25 pm
Please know that from my experience that if we have a mental health illness that requires medication that we are a high risk candidate. Due to the lack of proper absorption of our meds necessary for our mental wellness.
Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/23/13 1:03 am
RNY on 08/05/19

My surgeon suggested the VSG over the bypass for this reason; the sleeve has no malabsorption, so there is no trouble with medication.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

alive1218
on 10/24/13 6:00 am
Most definitely listen to the doc. Because we will always need our medication. That's awesome! Can't wait to hear how awesome your procedure goes!
mustlovepoodles
on 10/21/13 9:28 am, edited 10/21/13 9:29 am
VSG on 12/31/13

I don't have Medicare but i do have bipolar. I have been pretty stable for several years. My surgeon is requiring two psychological clearances--I easily passed one, got the second one scheduled this week--and a letter from my psychiatrist confirming my stability and promising to follow me closely for the next 12 months. She has already done that.I was also recommended to start therapy and continue for 6-12 months, which I have also done. I have one more support group meeting and one more dietician visit in November. So far, everything is going well. I haven't got a surgery date yet, but i anticipate that happening in December.

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

mobailey68
on 10/21/13 10:21 am
RNY on 02/24/14

Thank you everyone for the information.  I am much less stressed out knowing that others have had the surgery even with a diagnosis of bi-polar.  I am going to just do the next step required and hopefully I can get this done sometime in the near future.  I have my pre-op class in December so if all goes well I'm hoping my surgery will be in February.

I appreciate all of you comments.

Mo

alive1218
on 10/22/13 5:19 pm
I had my WLS 10/07. I have come to find out that those of us that have diagnosed with any type of mental illness should be considered as a contraindication due to the inability to properly absorb our medication. I found out the hard way for me that it was true. Just giving you knowledge, because knowledge is power.
JazzyOne9254
on 10/23/13 2:59 am, edited 10/23/13 2:59 am

I don't think your bipolar diagnosis will prevent your surgery. 

I've seen and communicated with several OH posters who self-identify as bipolar.

Personally, I have depression and anxiety disorder, and none of that prevented my surgery.

What it comes down to is if the benefits outweigh the risks.  That was the case for me, at 405 pounds.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active