Questions to ask

Rachael D.
on 10/22/13 7:20 am
RNY on 11/25/13

I am scheduled for my pre op visit. What are some questions that I should make sure that I do not forget to ask at that appointment? What are some things that you asked?

Member Services
on 10/22/13 8:57 am - Irvine, CA

Hi,

Congratulations on the start of your journey.  May we suggest you post this on your surgery type forum  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/22/13 9:13 am
RNY on 08/05/19

In general, I think it'd be a good idea to figure out your surgeon's personality, the kind of surgery they recommend, and what the surgery would be like. Some ideas...

• Why did you decide to go into bariatric surgery rather than another kind of medicine?
  • How many surgeries have you performed? Which kind do you do most often?
  • What kind of post-surgery support do you offer as far as follow-up visits, checkups, referrals for nutritionists, etc.?
  • Have you ever, or how often do you, turn people down for surgery? Why?
  • After someone has had their surgery, how do you figure out their goal weight and/or if they've been successful in their weight loss?
  • Do you offer help if patients are initially declined by their insurance companies?
  • How long does it usually take to respond to messages left with the office staff? Is there someone available to take after-hours emergency calls?

That's all I can think of for now, hope it helps! :)

TurnThePage
on 10/22/13 1:41 pm

In my experience, surgeons are not a warm and fuzzy lot. They are technicians by nature. I don't really care what the surgeon's personality is like, as long as he/she is willing to answer all my questions, address my concerns, and be readily available for any complications or necessary follow up.  Compassion is a big plus, but I usually don't see it until after the surgery is complete.

LosingSarah
on 10/22/13 9:54 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Julia posted some good questions.

I asked about success rate and complication rate and stuff like that. He covered pretty much every other question I had.

BTW - I just had the VSG with Dr. Garcia last Wednesday!  He is really great!  I felt really confident going into surgery with him as my doc!

Are you going into meet him soon?

Rachael D.
on 10/29/13 3:50 pm
RNY on 11/25/13
Dr. Garcia and the bariatric team has covered every question I've had. I have been researching and debating about this for ten years and Dr. Garcia is the first dr that I feel that I can trust and feel comfortable with
I met with him yesterday do my pre-op. Scheduled for RNY, Nov 25.
Most Active