Emotional pre op

barb.k
on 10/24/13 9:15 am - Williamson, GA

My surgery isn't for 12 more days, and I am experiencing a lot of different emotions....Today I started crying. I am not sad, I just feel overwhelmed at times that I am getting a second chance to live again. There is most likely other emotions to that I can't quit identify. Is this normal?

scoobyluvr1
on 10/24/13 9:22 am
RNY on 10/21/13
I think so.. i went through all sorts of emotions too. This is going to change your whole life i think it wouldnt be normal to not experience the diff emotions :)

~Ronda~  

Can you hear me now? Only on R&R 3.0 PM me for an invite!

barb.k
on 10/24/13 9:59 am - Williamson, GA

scoobylurvr1 you are just 3 days out..How are you doing?

scoobyluvr1
on 10/26/13 7:10 am
RNY on 10/21/13
Im doing good...its been 5 days now...im so glad its over and that i went through with it. There will be challenges but it will be worth it :)

~Ronda~  

Can you hear me now? Only on R&R 3.0 PM me for an invite!

Member Services
on 10/24/13 12:38 pm - Irvine, CA

What you are feeling is very normal.  You are not alone.  Surgery of any kind is stressful and anxiety is a common emotional response.   You are changing your life, for the better, and that is a big deal.  Here is some pre-op information for you to focus on, we hope it is helpful:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery/

We will be waiting to hear from you post-op!  

barb.k
on 10/24/13 1:11 pm - Williamson, GA

Thanks. I do plan on photographing as much as we hate the way we look now. It is important I believe.

Lindsey B.
on 10/25/13 12:45 am - MI
RNY on 11/19/12

Cry it out!  You ARE getting a second chance, a new life!  I'm sure there's fear, anxiety, trepidation, and excitement mixed in there, and it's all totally normal.  I myself didn't have any crying bouts before surgery, but I DEFINITELY spent a lot of time rubbing my hands together and giggling like a gleeful maniac beforehand.  I'm sure if anyone caught me, they would think I was crazy.  It's going to be tough at first, but don't let it discourage you!  It is and will be the best decision you ever make, it will change your life, and it's totally normal to have some conflicting emotions about it beforehand.  If you do ever feel depressed or sad, please talk to someone about it asap!

barb.k
on 10/25/13 11:35 am - Williamson, GA

Awe thanks Lindsey.

Karliy
on 10/25/13 4:10 am
VSG on 11/06/13

I am totall going through the same thing! Surgery is in less than two weeks and sometimes I wonder what Im doing this for and sometimes I can hardly wait! Its emotionally exhausting!

barb.k
on 10/25/13 11:49 am - Williamson, GA

Karliy,

Yes, It is exhausting... I have even taken a nap a couple days. I feel like I am nesting to give birth. to a new life....but in a sense am. Because I have had a date for a while I am getting things in order for when I am recuperating such as buying gifts for Nov events (birthday, wedding, anniv).  

I did buy myself a new food scale today, and a journal. I actually enjoyed buying my friend something to wear from a cool boutique because I know I too will be able to purchase clothing rather than just accessories there one day.

I also seem to avoid people that are more of acquaintances that I am not telling about my surgery, just because it is easier, than trying to hide something.

The other day at work two people told me my boss announced that I would be out for surgery.

Yes, lots and lots of emotions.  Stay busy, rest when tired....I guess it 'll be here soon.

Barb

Most Active