insurance companies that cover gastric bypass surgery in Mississippi

toyalynard
on 10/29/13 6:15 pm

Hi. I am trying to find an insurance company in Mississippi that you have used and was approved for gastric bypass surgery. I have Medicaid & Mississippi CAN UHC. They said they will not pay for it because Mississippi Medicaid doesn't cover it. So I am trying to buy my own insurance and I can't find a good company that pays for it. I would really appreciate it if people in Mississippi can tell me what company approved your surgery so I can try to apply to them. Thanks for your help.

MsBatt
on 10/30/13 1:23 am

Most individual policies don't cover WLS. Those that do cost the earth, and probably have a waiting period of a year or more before any 'elective' procedure is covered. If you can afford that kind of insurance premium, you might as well just save the money and self-pay. Have you considered going to Mexico for surgery? Prices are a lot cheaper, and the standard of care---provided you choose your surgeon wisely---is as good or better than in the US.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/1/13 1:32 pm - OH

Ms Batt is correct that most individual policies don't include it.  You should probably also post a mesaage on the Mississippi state board because you might get more responses there.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active