Reason for no drinking and eating at same time

travelbaby
on 11/22/13 5:45 am - PA
RNY on 04/23/12

I'm about a year and a half out from my RNY surgery and have a few basic questions that I never feel like I got answers. Does anyone know the reasons why for the following rules?

No drinking 30 min before, during or after eating.

No carbonation.

No soups, cereals and super mushy foods.

I've been following the rules, just always wondering if carbonation would do damage or what's the deal with avoiding it. Thanks!

Highest weight:  270
Weight before surgery:  265
Current weight:  137
Goal weight:  135

MsBatt
on 11/22/13 6:12 am

After the RNY, you're no longer using your pylorus, the sphincter that keeps food in a normal stomach. (A normal stomach churns and breaks down food further, so it has to be able to hold it in until it's finished.) You now have a stoma, which is basically an always-open hole in your pouch. Drinking during or immediately after eating can wash your food through your stoma, making it possible for you to eat too much to causing you to become hungry again too quickly. I'm not certain what the logic is about not drinking for 30 minutes before eating.

There's IS no real reason not to have carbonation, once you're fully healed after surgery. It may make you VERY uncomfortable, but it will not---it CANNOT---stretch either your pouch or your stoma. Long before that sort of pressure could build up, you'd either burp or fart out the gas!

Soups, cereals, and mushy foods go back to the always-open stoma thing. That said, some successful RNYers DO eat these things occasionally. Cereals are very carby, so keep that in mind. However, as long as you track your food and don't excess your carb goal for the day, I don't know why you can't enjoy them occasionally.

MyLady Heidi
on 11/22/13 1:43 pm

Apparently drinking while eating works well to wash away all those bad calories.  I weigh 128lbs and still can't eat more then a cup of brown rice which is fully expanded and keeps me full for hours.  If drinking while eating was some real issue protein drinks that run right through us would be useless. I eat a healthy diet, keep my calories low and splurge on chocolate on occasion, and you can see by my nearly 9 years of profile pics I not only never regained but I am at my lowest weight now.

travelbaby
on 11/24/13 9:24 pm - PA
RNY on 04/23/12

Thank you so much for that info! That's so helpful to understand and know what to guard against.

cajungirl
on 11/22/13 8:28 am

I agree with MsBatts 100%. My surgeons rule was no drinking 30 minutes before right out of surgery as the pouch capacity is so small you want to be able to eat. Some will say it doesn't make sense since liquids go straight through. That is correct it does go straight through but some of us still feel full after drinking, heck I still get full when I drink a lot. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

travelbaby
on 11/24/13 9:25 pm - PA
RNY on 04/23/12

Thanks so much!

TurnThePage
on 11/22/13 9:33 am

Here's the reason we do not drink for 30 minutes before or after eating, very clearly and simply illustrated in this 3 minute video made by a gastric bypass patient.  Best explanation ever.!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR0VM3mnsgM

travelbaby
on 11/24/13 9:26 pm - PA
RNY on 04/23/12

Thanks very much for sending the link!

poet_kelly
on 11/22/13 12:26 pm - OH

There is no reason for not drinking right up 'til you start to eat.

The reason not to drink while eating or for 30 minutes after is because the liquid will wash the food out of your pouch, allowing you to eat a lot more.

The only reason for no carbonation is that it gives some people painful gas.  If it doesn't cause you discomfort, there is no reason to avoid it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

travelbaby
on 11/24/13 9:27 pm - PA
RNY on 04/23/12

Thanks for all your help!

Most Active