Surgery Scheduled

b4dawncindy
on 11/22/13 10:29 pm

Hi, this is my first time here.  My surgery is scheduled in a little over two weeks - RYN.  I'm 55 and really excited and also scared to death.  My family is not supportive of the choice I made and I have not shared this with anyone else (small town, gossip, etc. that I want to avoid).  Has anyone around my age had the surgery and if so, can you please tell me how it has been for you afterwards?  Since I'm not younger like many I have come across who have had the surgery, I'm anxious to know if there are issues after the surgery related to those as the aging process goes on.  I've researched so much and I'm just not finding people in my age group who have undergone this surgery, only much younger patients.  Can anyone please help?  Thank you and have a great weekend!

oakley087
on 11/23/13 1:25 am

Hi I am a first timer also I will be having my surgery in jan I am 44 and so ready to change my life, I am sorry to hear that your family is not supportive but  remember you are doing this for yourself not anyone else . My family is more scared then not supporting me, that might be your familys problem good luck with your life changes and stay strong.

RevMammaOz
on 11/23/13 9:10 am

Hi...I'm 62 and had the surgery a few weeks ago. I didn't want to get any older carrying weight that would increase any potential for other health problems; was already going into an uncontrolled state with type 2 diabetes, and had sleep apnea. Post surgery 10 weeks on -have lost 22 kilos; still adjusting to my new gastric system and dietary regime, but feel good and   have more energy; and am enjoying the compliments about how "young" I look ("you look ten years younger" I heard just this morning). 55 is young! I'm sure your doctor will tell you if there's any particular in your situation that you need to be aware of. I'm sorry you have to be private about your surgery - I understand that - support is so important at this time, and with such huge physiological and changes, we can feel so vulnerable if others don't support us.

Thinner2
on 11/23/13 10:23 am
Revision on 12/17/13

I'm 55 and I'm in process of having a revision from lap band for medical reason to the gastric bypass. I haven't told any of the peoples in my community B/C of their negative comments.  My consultation is December 4. I don't think will take me long to get a date since Medicare said I didn't need preapproval. But pls keep me posted how it go.  

wink Thinner2

have anyone been approved by Medicare for gastric bypass?

b4dawncindy
on 2/4/14 8:24 am

Changed mind and I'm opting for the vertical sleeve surgery instead of the RNY.  Can anyone please provide their experience/input on this particular surgery.  I plan to have this in February or March when my stress level is much lower.  I could really use some support now.  I just lost my amazing Father and I'm confused, undecisive and scared to have any type of surgery.  However, I want a life and that involves losing all of this extra weight.  Thank you very much for your replies. 

AnneGG
on 2/4/14 10:11 am

I was 59 ½ when I had my surgery and am now 63. I'm doing great, and am especially grateful for my health that is now so much better- I chase my grandchildren all over the place.

I've had no issues or complications other than some nausea early out after surgery.

Good luck with your surgery!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Most Active