What do I tell People?

Imthatladee
on 12/4/13 2:17 am - VA

Hi! I'm scheduled for surgery on 12/16/13.  I plan to be out of the office for 3 weeks.  I'm debating on whether or not I should share what I'm about do with my co-workers or let them find out on their own.  At first, I didn't want to tell anyone that I was having WLS.  But then as I became educated about the process, and clear on why I was having the surgery, I shared it with my family and close friends.  My co-workers are a bunch of busy-bodies and I'm not sure I want to tell them my personal business.  So what do you tell people when they ask "how did you lose the weight"?

angryimthatladee

VSG ON 12/16/2013;  HW: 272;  SW: 247;  GW: 170

TXKashmir
on 12/4/13 2:24 am - Grand Prairie, TX

I am always, always honest. Those busy-bodies are going to talk about you regardless, so you might as well be truthful. Any negative misconceptions they have about WLS will be squashed once they start seeing your amazing success. If you are dishonest, your secret may get out, and you will lose a lot of trust that can never be regained. And yes, even though just saying you lost the weight with "diet and exercise" is technically true, you will still be perceived as a liar if you omit the part about surgery. Be proud of yourself and your decision to take charge of your health!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

Imthatladee
on 12/4/13 2:30 am - VA

Thanks...That's good advice and will do that with my co-workers!  How about folks that you see in passing?  Do you find yourself telling everyone that asks "how did you lose weight" that you had WLS?

TXKashmir
on 12/4/13 3:32 am - Grand Prairie, TX

Well, not everyone that passes knows I lost weight - lol! But, yes, if I have an acquaintance that hasn't seen me in a while, and asks, I am always honest - this is how we break down stigmas - by living the truth and being honest about it. Of course, I don't discuss my surgery with everyone I come across, but if someone cares enough to ask, I have enough respect to respond with the truth.

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

TexasTerritory
on 12/4/13 3:17 am
VSG on 07/22/13
My family knows but I don't tell people just as I don't tell them about my other surgeries. It is very private to me. When asked, I do say that I am on a medically supervised diet. I feel comfortable with this statement. Good luck.

Imthatladee
on 12/5/13 4:14 am - VA

I like this statement too!  I want to be truthful but I don't want to tell everyone...everything.

phred
on 12/4/13 3:28 am - CO

For crying out loud, just tell them you have AIDS, that will get them off your back!

If it feels good, do it!  And if it smells good, eat it!

TXKashmir
on 12/4/13 3:33 am - Grand Prairie, TX

LMAO - phred! You always crack me up!

Debbie

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/4/13 10:55 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Reminds me of that South Park episode about Jared who lost so much weight eating at Subway. "I lost weight because I had aides to help me."

"HEY GUYS, JARED LOST WEIGHT WITH AIDS!!!!!"

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Imthatladee
on 12/5/13 4:12 am - VA

Too Funny!  I'm sure it would!

Most Active